Manchester City wins
Fernandinho had two goals as Manchester City outscored visiting Arsenal 6-3 in the English Premier League on Saturday, cutting the Gunners’ lead to two points.
Chelsea pounced on Arsenal’s implosion by edging past Crystal Palace 2-1, with Ramires scoring the winning goal.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- After signing $43 million contract, Bobby Wagner admits he didn’t expect Seattle to draft him
Most Read Stories
Through 16 matches, Arsenal has 35 points, Chelsea has 33 and Manchester City has 32. City has won eight in a row at home.
Nicklaus duo has a 63
Jack Nicklaus, 73, made a 10-foot birdie putt on the final hole to complement the strong play of his 44-year-old son, Gary, in the PNC Father/Son Challenge in Orlando, Fla.
Team Nicklaus had a 9-under-par 63 in the scramble event at Grande Lakes, two shots behind leaders Stewart and Connor Cink. Steve and Sam Elkington were at 62.
Van der Walt triumphs
Dawie van der Walt closed with a 4-under 66 to win the Nelson Mandela Championship by two shots, giving the event in Durban a victory by a South African at a time when the country bids farewell to its former president, who died Dec. 5.
Van der Walt had a three-round total of 15-under 195 in the rain-shortened event. England’s Matthew Baldwin and Spain’s Jorge Campillo had 68s to tie for second.
Kuchar, English lead
Matt Kuchar and Harris English took a four-stroke lead in the Franklin Templeton Shootout, playing the back nine in 9-under 27 in the better-ball round for a 12-under 60.
Kuchar and English were at 20 under in Naples, Fla. The team of Retief Goosen and Fredrik Jacobson was second after a 61.
Garcia has 4-shot edge
Sergio Garcia of Spain opened a four-stroke lead in the Asian Tour’s Thailand Golf Championship in Chonburi, shooting his second consecutive 7-under 65.
Garcia was at 18-under 198.
Garcia’s caddie at the event is his girlfriend, Katharina Boehm.
“I think if she will not be on the bag, it would probably be like 25 under,” Garcia said of his score.
Henrik Stenson (65) of Sweden and Anirban Lahiri (67) were at 16 under after 54 holes.
Shared Belief romps
Shared Belief powered to a 5¾-length victory over Candy Boy in the Grade I CashCall Futurity for 2-year-olds at Betfair Hollywood Park in Inglewood, Calif.
Shared Belief, trained by Jerry Hollendorfer and ridden by Corey Nakatani, ran 1 1/16 miles in 1 minute, 42.16 seconds and paid $4 to win in the $751,500 race. The gelding’s owners include George Todaro of Seattle, Hollendorfer and sports-talk personality Jim Rome.
Tyler Baze can return
Jockey Tyler Baze, a Seattle native, will be allowed to resume riding in races Jan. 1, as long as he abides by several conditions set by the California Horse Racing Board.
Baze, 31, was able to exercise horses starting Saturday in his return to the saddle after being sidelined since June, when his license was suspended after he failed a sobriety test at Betfair Hollywood.
• Marcel Hirscher, two-time defending World Cup skiing champion, won a giant slalom in Val d’Isere, France. Meanwhile, Americans Ted Ligety and Bode Miller didn’t finish their first runs.
• Tina Weirather of Liechtenstein produced a birthday present for her mother, two-time Olympic gold medalist Hanni Wenzel. Weirather won a World Cup super-giant slalom in St. Moritz, Switzerland, on her mother’s 57th birthday.
• American skier Hannah Kearney won the season-opening World Cup moguls competition in Kuusamo, Finland.
• The International Olympic Committee is putting up $20 million to fight doping and match-fixing — considered two major threats to the credibility of the Games.
• Third baseman Juan Uribe, 34, has agreed to a two-year contract to return to the Los Angeles Dodgers, a source told the Los Angeles Times.
• Marcos Maidana beat Adrien Broner by unanimous decision to take the WBA welterweight title in San Antonio.
Broner lost for the first time in 28 bouts.
Seattle Times news services