An injury to defender Roman Torres means Sounders midfielder Gustav Svensson will again be pressed into backline action as his team takes on Fredy Montero and the Vancouver Whitecaps
In what’s been a recurring theme for the Sounders all season, midfielder Gustav Svensson will again be replacing a defender Friday night as they take on the Vancouver Whitecaps at B.C. Place Stadium. This isn’t much of a surprise, as we told you yesterday that Roman Torres would miss this game and possibly the next one as well.
As for Svensson, he’s started four games at right and center back and replaced the injured Torres early last week in the team’s fifth match.
Of course, the big thing we’re watching is the Sounders facing forward Fredy Montero for the first time. I’ll have a feature on the friendship between Montero and Sounders midfielder Osvaldo Alonso coming up in just a bit.
Montero, of course, has played only twice and scored once in MLS play since joining the Vancouver side. They’re looking for big things out of him in this city and the pressure is on as the Whitecaps are off to a slow start.
Most Read Stories
- What drivers can and cannot do under Washington state's new distracted-driving law
- Federal judge: ‘The citizens of Seattle are not going to pay blackmail for constitutional policing’
- '450 square feet of fear': Renter dreads rising cost for Fremont studio apartment | Seattle Sketcher
- Man shot at Seattle's Golden Gardens Park amid apparent gunfight
- Pac-12 football preview: Washington an overwhelming favorite in the North
As for the Sounders, they could use a road win. They could use a win period.
Fun being back in this stadium. I first visited here in 1996, covering a CFL game for the Montreal Gazette between the Alouettes and B.C. Lions. Attended two Grey Cup games here as a fan back in 1999 and 2005. But same pressbox I sat in 21 years ago. Haven’t been back in it since.
GK Stefan Frei
LB Joevin Jones
RB Oniel Fisher
CB Chad Marshall
CB Gustav Svensson
MF Cristian Roldan
MF Osvaldo Alonso
MF Harry Shipp
MF Nicolas Lodeiro
FW Clint Dempsey
FW Jordan Morris