Chris Pontius scored four minutes after halftime to lift D.C. United to a 1-0 Major League Soccer victory over the Columbus Crew. D.C. United has won seven home matches in a row.
WASHINGTON — Chris Pontius scored four minutes after halftime to lift D.C. United to a 1-0 decision over the Columbus Crew and give United its seventh straight Major League Soccer home victory.
Pontius’ team-leading 10th goal pushed United (11-7-3) one victory short of tying the team record of eight straight home victories in 1998. Three of the victories in the 1998 streak came via the league’s shootout format, which was eliminated after the 1999 season.
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — Joseph Nane scored his first career goal in the 38th minute and Matt Pickens became the team’s winningest goalkeeper as the Colorado Rapids beat Real Salt Lake 1-0.
- Female tiger killed by mating partner at Sacramento Zoo
- Job cuts planned as Boeing hunkers down to compete with Airbus, consider new plane
- Amid Zika fears, local family shares the reality of microcephaly
- Nigerian suicide bomber gets cold feet, refuses to kill
- Seahawks sign CFL receiver Jeff Fuller and running back Cameron Marshall
Most Read Stories
Pickens has 40 victories with the Rapids; he had been tied at 39 with Marcus Hahnemann, a former standout for Seattle Pacific and the USL Seattle Sounders.
Other MLS matches
Sporting Kansas City 1,
at Revolution 0
Teal Bunbury scored in the 20th minute as Sporting Kansas City won at New England.
At Impact 2, Union 0
Andrew Wenger and Felipe Martins scored as Montreal defeated Philadelphia.
At Fire 2, Toronto FC 1
Austin Berry and Marco Pappa scored for Chicago, winless in its previous two matches.