COMMERCE CITY, Colo. – Vicente Sanchez and Deshorn Brown scored on penalty kicks two minutes apart in the second half to lead the Colorado Rapids to a 2-0 Major League Soccer victory over the Portland Timbers on Saturday.
“It wasn’t a pretty game, but it doesn’t matter how you win,” Sanchez said.
Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts earned a red card in the 71st minute when he made contact with Brown while battling him for the ball.
- With death on table, McEnroe jury's friendships crumbled
- Salary cap expert Joel Corry with another look at Russell Wilson's contract
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- Microsoft employees -- past and present -- look back over the years
- No time to eat in Silicon Valley, so techies chug their protein
Most Read Stories
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The Vancouver Whitecaps remained unbeaten in three matches this season with a scoreless draw at the New England Revolution.
Vancouver goalkeeper David Ousted made three saves, and New England’s Bobby Shuttleworth had two stops.
• Robbie Keane scored in the 34th minute and Los Angeles got a 1-1 draw at Real Salt Lake. Alvaro Saborio scored for Salt Lake in the 19th minute.
• Bernardo Anor scored first-half goals — from close range with his head and from 35 yards with his left foot — as host Columbus beat Philadelphia 2-1.
• England player Jermain Defoe scored his third MLS goal in two matches to lift Toronto FC over D.C. United 1-0 in Toronto’s home opener.
• Fabian Castillo, Je-Vaughn Watson and Michel scored as Western Conference-leading FC Dallas beat visiting Chivas USA 3-1.
• Dom Dwyer’s 57th-minute penalty kick gave host Sporting Kansas City a 1-0 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes.