Clint Dempsey will be wearing the U.S. national team uniform for the next few weeks, but the star forward’s No. 2 Sounders FC jersey is the top seller in MLS this season.
Rankings released by the league Wednesday were based on sales online through the official MLS store, and rounding out the top five were Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Thierry Henry (New York) and Tim Cahill (New York).
DeAndre Yedlin, Seattle’s other World Cup player, ranked 10th. He actually gave the No. 2 jersey to Dempsey last season, changing to No. 17.
Dempsey, the USMNT captain, earned another distinguished honor this week as he was featured on one of four covers for Sports Illustrated’s World Cup preview. The other international stars highlighted on the magazine’s cover were Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo, Argentina’s Lionel Messi and Uruguay’s Luis Suarez.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Shell icebreaker begins journey after protesters removed from Portland bridge
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area
Most Read Stories
Reign FC midfielder Kim Little has been named NWSL Player of the Month for a second straight time after scoring four goals in five May games to keep first-place Seattle unbeaten.
Little, who also won in April, is the first player in the league’s short history to claim the award twice. The 23-year-old Scottish international has scored in five straight games, matching a league record, and boasts an NWSL-high nine goals for the season.
“She has been a consistent performer in the league and has given every opposition we have played problems,” said Laura Harvey, coach and general manager, in a news release. “She has worked hard to put in good performances, and we hope that she can continue in this good form she is in.”
• The Sounders’ June 18 home match against amateur team PSA Elite in the U.S. Open Cup has sold out. Kickoff from Starfire Stadium in Tukwila, where capacity is about 4,500, will be at 7 p.m., and there will also be a live stream available on SoundersFC.com
Joshua Mayers: 206-464-3184 or email@example.com