It has been a wild ride for skiers and snowboarders with snow dumps reaching lofty proportions the past few weeks.
The National Weather Service issued a warning of possible lowland snow in western Washington this weekend as another arctic blast moves in from Canada.
In the Cascade region, expect another round of 4 to 9 inches starting late Friday to Sunday that will fill in the tracks on hillsides.
Snowfall will be light to moderate, and the heaviest accumulations will occur along the western slopes of the Cascades. The freezing level is expected to drop dramatically by Friday night through Sunday.
Most Read Stories
That should make for prime skiing and riding conditions this weekend, although a gradual warming trend could melt away the fun and create mushy snow and rain by early next week.
Events and activities
• The B.A.R.K. Backcountry Ball is 6-9 p.m. Saturday, and supports the Backcountry Avalanche Rescue K9 and the Alpental Volunteer Ski Patrol. Details: www.summitatsnoqualmie.com
• Mount Baker first-timers package deal includes all-day equipment rental, a beginner lift ticket and a 1½-hour lesson for $49. Details: http://winter.mtbaker.us/
• The Vertical Express for MS is Friday to Sunday at Crystal Mountain Resort. Details: http://crystalmountainresort.com
• At Stevens Pass, the “Avy 101 – Avalanche Awareness Clinic” is 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the K2 Mountain Education Center. Cost is $75. The Hopes on the Slopes 24-hour Endurance Challenge starts at 9 a.m. Saturday until 9 a.m. Sunday. Details: www.stevenspass.com
• The White Pass Winter Carnival is this weekend. Details: www.skiwhitepass.com
• The Winter Special Olympics Washington alpine events are Friday to Sunday at Mission Ridge Ski & Board Resort. Details: www.missionridge.com
• The Lake Wenatchee State Park offers groomed cross country ski trails at South Park (12 kilometers), Nason Ridge (20), North Park (5.3) and Chiwawa (8). Sno-Park Permits are required to access the trails. Details: 509-763-3101.
• The Liftopia National Play Hooky & Ski Week begins Monday through March 7 with special bargain lift rates at many Washington and Oregon resorts. Details: http://deal.liftopia.com/national-play-hooky-and-ski-week/
• At the Leavenworth Winter Sports Club, the Icicle River Trail is groomed and open with 8 kilometers; the golf course with 8 kilometers and waterfront park with 3 kilometers are open but weren’t groomed Thursday; and Ski Hill is groomed and open with 7 kilometers. Ski Hill and Tubing Park are open 3-7:30 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekends. The Winter Special Olympics Washington Nordic events are Friday through Sunday at the Icicle River Trail Meadow; and the Bakke Cup at Ski Hill is Saturday. Details: 509-548-5115 or www.skileavenworth.com
Source: Ski resorts and www.skiwashington.com