Take me out to the stall game? Notre Dame Academy survived Highlands' slowdown tactics to win 13-8 in a high-school girls basketball playoff...
Take me out to the stall game?
Notre Dame Academy survived Highlands’ slowdown tactics to win 13-8 in a high-school girls basketball playoff in Highland Heights, Ky. The winners — who won the teams’ regular-season meeting 59-31 — led 2-0, 4-0 and 6-0 at the quarter marks.
ND coach Nicole Levandusky looked on the bright side, telling the Cincinnati Enquirer: “Our girls have no excuses not to be ready for practice. They should be pretty fresh.”
- Turkey’s president, Putin hurl insults after plane downed
- Teen, one of 14 siblings, finally gets to be a kid
- Seattle sushi fans, rejoice: Shiro's new place is open
- 2015 Apple Cup might be the start of something big for UW, WSU
- UW fires women’s crew coach Bob Ernst
Most Read Stories
• At Fark.com: “Yankees look to cut payroll all the way down to $189 million by 2014. And they say the 1% aren’t suffering.”
• At SportsPickle.com: “Andy Reid on DeSean Jackson: ‘Mmm. Franchise tenders.’ “
Cam the Ram — Colorado State’s live sheep mascot — apparently got a bit too excited and urinated on the basketball court during pregame festivities for last Wednesday’s game against UNLV.
That’s a first — an “and one” before the game even started?
Don’t bet on it
“Ryan Braun says he’d bet his life that an illegal substance was never in his body,” wrote Carl Steward of the Oakland Tribune. “Hey, maybe MLB can nail him for gambling.”
She’s calling on Line 1
And from the Perfect Name For The Job File comes the public-information officer in the Spokane office of Washington Fish and Wildlife:
Oh, to be an artificial fly on the wall the first time she meets pro bass angler Mike Wurm.
The tooth hurts
“Orange News reports a man set a world record by balancing 23 wooden benches on his teeth,” noted RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com. “I’ll go out on a limb and say he doesn’t play hockey.”
• Greg Cote of the Miami Herald, on how Katie Ulaender felt after winning gold at the world skeleton championships: “Bone tired.”
• Times reader Charlie Gay, on West Coast basketball’s sagging reputation this season: “It’s easier for Martina Navratilova to get into the Big Dance than a Pac-12 team.”
• NBC’s Jimmy Fallon, on the electrical blaze at Fenway Park: “Instead of calling 911, Boston fans just heckled the fire until it left.”
• Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel, on a silent movie winning an Oscar this year: “What next — the 1910 Hudson Roadster winning the Daytona 500?”
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on the new mob museum in Las Vegas: “It’s similar to the Baseball Hall of Fame, only with fewer rule-breakers.”
Pass the cupcakes
Mississippi State’s nonconference football schedule this fall: Jackson State, Troy, South Alabama and Middle Tennessee State.
What, Electoral College wasn’t available?
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org