Seattle University men's basketball coach Cameron Dollar has announced that redshirt junior Sterling "Sporty" Carter is no longer a member...
Seattle University men’s basketball coach Cameron Dollar has announced that redshirt junior Sterling “Sporty” Carter is no longer a member of the Redhawk team.
Carter played in eight games during the 2012-13 season, averaging 7.3 points and 2.6 rebounds for the Redhawks. During his Seattle U career, he appeared in 66 games, including 54 starts, averaging 11.5 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.7 assists. Carter made 170 three-pointers during his time with the Redhawks, second-most in program history.
Zags move up; Olynyk honored
Gonzaga’s men’s basketball team has its highest ranking since 2010 as the Associated Press and USA Today Top 25 polls were released Monday.
- Expect traffic delays when Obama visits Seattle Friday afternoon
- Win over USC puts UW’s coaching upgrade (Chris Petersen over Steve Sarkisian) on full display
- Huskies upset USC 17-12 and beat Steve Sarkisian, their former coach
- Lloyd McClendon will not return as Mariners' manager
- Obama visits Seattle for fundraisers; traffic not as bad as expected
Most Read Stories
The Zags, 15-1 overall after a three-game road sweep, are ninth in the latest Associated Press poll and eighth in the USA Today balloting of coaches.
The last time the Bulldogs had a single-digit ranking in the USA Today poll was Feb. 20, 2010, when the squad was ranked ninth for a second straight week. The last time Gonzaga had a single-digit AP ranking was Dec. 23, 2008, when it was seventh.
Duke (14-0) remained atop both polls for the fourth straight week.
Gonzaga center Kelly Olynyk also was selected West Coast Conference Player of the Week after lifting the Bulldogs to three road victories. Olynyk, a junior from Kamloops, British Columbia, averaged 23.3 points, 7.7 rebounds, went 23 for 35 from the field for 65.7 percent and 22 for 26 from the free-throw line.
• Talia Walton was tabbed the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week after she led Washington to a sweep of the Arizona schools over the weekend as the Dawgs improved to 10-3 overall.
• Washington State football seniors Wade Jacobson and Jeff Tuel have each been invited to play in the Casino Del Sol College All-Star Game on Friday at Kino Stadium in Tucson, Ariz.
Tuel was also selected to play in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl, Jan. 19 at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.
• Seattle U’s Kacie Sowell has been named the Western Athletic Conference women’s basketball Player of the Week, as well as conference player of the week by College Sports Madness.
• Gonzaga women’s basketball senior Taelor Karr was named West Coast Conference Player of the Week. Karr helped the Bulldogs to a 2-0 week in West Coast Conference play by averaging 21.0 points, 4.0 assists, 3.0 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game.
• For the fourth time in school history, the Eastern Washington football team has ended the season with a top-four ranking, as the Eagles were picked fourth in a pair of final NCAA Football Championship Subdivision polls.
The Eagles finished fourth in The Sports Network Top 25 Poll of sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries. In the Coaches Poll, Eastern was also fourth.
Compiled from sports-information reports and other sources.