Kacie Sowell scores 21 points, grabs 14 rebounds in losing effort
Seattle University couldn’t capitalize on numerous opportunities in the final minute of overtime and dropped a 61-60 decision to UC Irvine in women’s basketball Saturday at Connolly Center.
The Anteaters’ Kelly Meggs nailed a three-pointer with 1:02 left in overtime to put UC Irvine (2-5) up 61-60.
The Redhawks (2-4) missed a layup with 35 seconds left, but got another chance when UCI was called for an offensive foul with 19 seconds left. The Redhawks couldn’t convert on either of their final two shots.
Seattle U almost had the game won in regulation. The Redhawks’ Kacie Sowell, who led all scorers with 21 points, scored on an offensive rebound with 28 seconds left for a 54-52 lead. But with three seconds left, UCI’s Cheyenne Cathey drove from the top of the key and scored for the Anteaters.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Seahawks' decision shows faith in Brandon Mebane, and the team's Superstar Strategy
- Wolverine fire continues to grow, air quality at hazardous levels
Most Read Stories
Sowell hit 10 of 13 shots from the field and also had a game-high 14 rebounds. Sylvia Shephard added 17 points for the Redhawks.
UC Irvine had four players in double figures, led by Camille Buckley with 16 points.
From team reports