Kacie Sowell scores 21 points, grabs 14 rebounds in losing effort
Seattle University couldn’t capitalize on numerous opportunities in the final minute of overtime and dropped a 61-60 decision to UC Irvine in women’s basketball Saturday at Connolly Center.
The Anteaters’ Kelly Meggs nailed a three-pointer with 1:02 left in overtime to put UC Irvine (2-5) up 61-60.
The Redhawks (2-4) missed a layup with 35 seconds left, but got another chance when UCI was called for an offensive foul with 19 seconds left. The Redhawks couldn’t convert on either of their final two shots.
Seattle U almost had the game won in regulation. The Redhawks’ Kacie Sowell, who led all scorers with 21 points, scored on an offensive rebound with 28 seconds left for a 54-52 lead. But with three seconds left, UCI’s Cheyenne Cathey drove from the top of the key and scored for the Anteaters.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
- Russell Wilson talks baseball, contract and other stuff on Jimmy Kimmel
- Rules preserving city views set up clash among towers competing to be first, biggest
Most Read Stories
Sowell hit 10 of 13 shots from the field and also had a game-high 14 rebounds. Sylvia Shephard added 17 points for the Redhawks.
UC Irvine had four players in double figures, led by Camille Buckley with 16 points.
From team reports