Seattle University snapped Cal State Bakersfield’s six-game winning streak with a 74-67 WAC victory Saturday at Connolly Center.
Seattle U used an 18-2 run late in the first half for a 35-25 halftime lead. The Redhawks led by 18 with 6:10 to go before Bakersfield (14-9, 8-3) cut the lead to 68-64 with one minute to play, but Seattle’s Kacie Sowell made a basket the next time down. After a CSUB turnover, the Redhawks (13-12, 8-4) sank four free throws in the final 36 seconds to secure the victory.
Sowell led five Seattle players in double figures with 14 points and 12 rebounds. Sylvia Shepard also had a double-double of 11 points and 11 rebounds.
Bakersfield’s Tyonna Outland led all scorers with 25 points.
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Shell icebreaker begins journey after protesters removed from Portland bridge
- Haggen cuts worker hours in Seattle area
Most Read Stories
“ I thought we did an outstanding job on team defense, and I’m really proud of our team,” Redhawks coach Joan Bonvicini said.