PHOENIX, Ariz. — Grand Canyon, behind its hot-shooting front line, rallied in the second half to defeat Seattle University 72-66 in Western Athletic Conference women’s basketball play Thursday night.
Starting forwards Johnna Brown, Jenna Pearson and Deanna Daniels combined to hit 21 of 29 field-goal attempts — including 4 of 6 from three-point range — and score 48 points for the Antelopes (17-7, 6-5), who improved to 9-0 at home this season.
Wilma Afunugo (18) and Ashley Ward (17) combined for 35 points and Kacie Sowell (13 points, 10 rebounds) registered a double-double for the Redhawks (13-13, 8-5), who led 32-27 at halftime.
From team reports.
- USC fires head coach Steve Sarkisian, former UW Huskies coach
- Seahawks coach Pete Carroll on Steve Sarkisian: ‘It breaks my heart’
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll ‘baffled’ after late collapse vs. Bengals
- Time for Seahawks to accept that Marshawn Lynch may go from Beast Mode to Decreased Mode
- Smoking credit-card reader forces Seattle-bound flight to land in N.Y.