Nicole Nesbit scored 24 points as host UC Santa Barbara rallied past the Seattle University women’s basketball team for a 78-75 victory Saturday.
It was the final nonconference game for Seattle U (5-8). The Redhawks built a 49-34 lead at halftime but couldn’t sustain it, shooting just 28.6 percent in the second half.
Kacie Sowell scored 23 points for Seattle U. Sylvia Shephard had 16 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists. Ashley Ward chipped in with 11 points.
Melissa Zornig scored 19 points for Santa Barbara (5-7), and Destini Mason had 12.
- Black Lives Matter protesters march, have sit-ins in Seattle
- Game thread: Huskies dominate Cougars in Apple Cup
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Swarming defense, Myles Gaskin helps UW rout WSU in Apple Cup
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
Most Read Stories
Seattle U’s last lead was 68-67 with 4:42 remaining. Mi’Chael Wright put the Gauchos ahead for good 69-68 with 4:25 left.
Santa Barbara went on a 5-0 run over the next two minutes to secure the victory.
Seattle University opens its conference schedule at Chicago State on Thursday.