David Downs scored 26 points Saturday night to lead 16th-ranked Seattle Pacific over Central Washington 80-67 in a Great Northwest Athletic Conference game at Brougham Pavilion.
The Falcons (9-2, 2-0) don’t play another conference contest until they visit Western Oregon on Jan. 2.
The Preseason Player of the Year in the GNAC, Downs drew a scoring standoff against CWU’s Mark McLaughlin, who entered the game with a league-leading 26.6-point average. The Wildcats (3-4, 0-2) senior finished with 26 points on 9-of-19 shooting from the field.
Downs converted 8 of 13 shots from the field, including 4 of 6 three-pointers.
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- Seahawks trade Kevin Norwood, make other moves to get roster to 75
- Chargers players upset with Frank Clark
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
Most Read Stories
BELLINGHAM — Center Austin Bragg had a team-high 24 points, and freshman forwards Jeffery Parker and Joey Schreiber combined for 37 points as No. 5 Western Washington defeated Saint Martin’s 87-75.
Parker came off the bench to score 20 points and grab a game-high eight rebounds and Schreiber had 17 points as the Vikings (6-0, 2-0 GNAC) extended their school-record home winning streak to 33 and conference home winning streak to 18.
Ryan Rogers led the Saints (1-6, 1-1) with a game-high 25 points.
Host Alaska Anchorage led from the start to hand No. 6 Seattle Pacific its first loss of the year, 77-65.
Katie Benson had 26 points and 12 rebounds for SPU (7-1, 1-1 GNAC). Benson hit 10 of 20 from the field, and also had four assists, three steals and one blocked shot.
Brianna Lasconia added 11 points for the Falcons. Suzanna Ohlsen and Betsy Kingma each chipped in 10.
Alaska Anchorage (7-1, 2-0) was led by Alli Madison led with 21 points.
• Eastern Oregon (9-3, 2-0 Cascade Conference) shot 50 percent in the second half to beat host Northwest University 71-48.
Chanara Greene came off the bench to lead Northwest U. (6-4, 1-1 CCC) with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
Compiled from sports-information reports.