Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo signed a six-year contract extension worth $108 million, making him the highest-paid player in franchise history.
ARLINGTON, Texas — Quarterback Tony Romo has a chance to start for the Dallas Cowboys longer than Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman. The question is whether he will ever match their Super Bowl pedigrees.
Romo signed a six-year contract extension worth $108 million Friday, making him the highest-paid player in franchise history.
The agreement will lower the quarterback’s salary-cap number for 2013 by about $5 million.
Romo, a 32-year-old who was entering the final year of his contract, gets $55 million guaranteed.
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- Steven Hauschka's 60-yard FG gives Seahawks final edge over Chargers
- Jack Zduriencik’s M’s legacy: More than 3 dozen departed managers, coaches, scouts, staffers
- Offense needs big kick as Seahawks snag 16-15 victory
Most Read Stories
Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco got $52 million guaranteed in the six-year, $120.6 million contract he signed with Baltimore earlier this month.
“I think it’s just exciting, more than anything, that you know you’re going to be here the rest of my career,” Romo said in a video on the team’s website. “We’re a team on the rise and I think it’s going to show here going forward.”
Romo could be with Dallas through 2019, giving him a chance to be the starter longer than the 11 seasons of Aikman and seven of Staubach, who was a part-time starter his first four years with the Cowboys.
Aikman and Staubach won five Super Bowls between them, while Romo has a mere one playoff-game victory in six full seasons as the starter.
Romo alluded to changes “behind the scenes” in the interview on the team’s website, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a statement his quarterback will have “a significant level of input and contribution to the planning and implementing of our offensive approach — both in the meeting room and on the field.”
Romo lost playoff-or-bust games in regular-season finales the past two years. That included a loss to Washington last season when Romo, with a chance to tie or win the game with a drive in the final three minutes, threw a pass that was intercepted.
A former Romo rival, Donovan McNabb, questioned the deal on Twitter.
“Wow really, with one playoff win,” ex-quarterback McNabb wrote. “You got to be kidding me.”
• Guard Matt Slauson, 27, agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the Chicago Bears. He started the previous 48 games for the New York Jets.
The Bears also agreed to terms with quarterback Josh McCown, 33, on a one-year contract.
McCown has been on Chicago’s roster the last two seasons and played in three games (two starts) in the 2011 season. He was third-string QB last season behind starter Jay Cutler and backup Jason Campbell but did not play.
Campbell signed a two-year contract with the Cleveland Browns, leaving a void at backup.
• Tight end Fred Davis, 27, re-signed with Washington. A source familiar with the agreement said Davis received a one-year contract after exploring options with the Jets and Buffalo Bills. He is recovering from a torn left Achilles suffered in a loss to the New York Giants in October.
• Hall of Famer Lem Barney, a Detroit Lions cornerback from 1967 to 1977, filed a discrimination lawsuit against a Detroit health system, alleging he was fired because of his age.
Barney, 67, alleges his supervisor at Detroit Medical Center once asked him, “why don’t you just retire already?” after noting he made a lot of money playing pro football.
Barney also said he ran afoul of a supervisor by signing too many autographs for fans.