Needless to say, his favorite team really grew on him.
Minnesota Vikings fan Emmett Pearson, who started a beard 39 years ago and vowed not to shave it until the team won a Super Bowl, died last week at age 83 — the same day his beloved Vikes lost to the winless Giants on “Monday Night Football.”
“Who would have that kind of devotion to that team?” daughter Amy Pearson told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “But he was a man of his word. He didn’t ever have an option.”
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Despite struggles on and off field, ex-Skyline star QB Jake Heaps still chasing his dream
- Navy stealthily targets Hood Canal development
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
- 1,000 flee homes as wildfire quickly spreads in Wenatchee
Most Read Stories
Speaking of waiting
The Green Bay Packers called Todd Mommaerts with the good news: He’s finally eligible to buy season tickets.
Of course, Mommaerts was 9 years old when dad put Todd’s name on the waiting list — back in 1979.
• At TheOnion.com: “Titans players evenly divided amongst Bud Adams’ next of kin.”
• At Fark.com: “NCAA graduation rate rises to 81%. The other 19% are called ‘starters.’ ”
On the lighter side
Chain-smoker Jim Leyland resigned as the Detroit Tigers’ manager.
In keeping with the theme, the team will announce his successor with two puffs of white smoke from the dugout.
Boot me in St. Louis
“I’m not saying St. Louis baseball fans have gotten spoiled,” wrote RJ Currie of SportsDeke.com, “but they call errors Cardinal sins.”
He hate thee
The five most disliked players in the NFL, according to an E-Poll Market Research survey of 1,100 fans:
5) Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez
4) Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger
3) Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh
2) Chargers LB Manti Te’o
1) Eagles QB Michael Vick
Still a money QB
Ex-QB Steve Young is still getting paid from his USFL days — the league folded in 1987 — thanks to a crafty backloaded deal brokered by agent Leigh Steinberg.
“And for those keeping score,” wrote Rick Chandler of SportsGrid.com. “Young will make $1 million next year from a team he last played for in 1985. Russell Wilson, meanwhile, will make $662,434 with the Seahawks.”
• Vancouver (B.C.) comic Torben Rolfsen, after SeaTac Airport security arrested ex-Celtics great Bill Russell for a loaded gun in his carry-on bag: “I guess that finally settles the debate over whether Russell would fit in today’s NBA.”
• Spotted on a fan’s sign during ESPN’s “College GameDay” in Eugene, Ore.: “Manziel paid 4 a Mariota autograph.”
• Blogger TC Chong, on why some bettors wanted a refund on their Jets-Patriots wager: “They heard the game ended with a push in OT.”
• ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel, not a big fan of the hirsute Red Sox: “If I want to see a bunch of bearded men battling for a ring, I will watch ‘The Hobbit.’ ”
Paging Mel Gibson
Redskins owner Dan Snyder might change his team’s controversial nickname to the Washington Bravehearts, according to a TMZ report.
Can’t wait for the first Randy Moss-like “end zone” celebration.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org