Do the Seahawks, a 10-point underdog against the Saints, have a chance? Other underdogs have prevailed in the playoffs.
With the Seahawks 10 ½-point underdogs, and some joking the Saints may rest their starters to prepare for their first real playoff game, The Seattle Times has searched out signs of hope from the mountains of statistics and trends. We’ll administer one a day all week leading up to the game:
Three teams have made the playoffs at 8-8 under the current playoff format, which began in 2002. All three of those teams won their first-round playoff game, most recently two years ago when the 8-8 AFC West champion Chargers beat the 12-4 Colts.
In 2004, two 8-8 teams made the NFC playoffs and both won — Minnesota winning at Green Bay and the Rams defeating Seattle at Qwest Field.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Seattle man charged with vehicular homicide in cyclist’s death
- Paying the bill for U.S. Open at Chambers Bay
- ‘Historic’ tuition cut sets state apart from rest of U.S.
- Polygamous Montana trio applies for marriage license