RENTON – Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner is questionable for Sunday’s opener at Carolina with a hamstring injury.
Browner, a starting corner opposite Richard Sherman, didn’t practice the past two days because of the injury.
If Browner doesn’t play, the Seahawks will rely on Byron Maxwell and Walter Thurmond to fill his role. Thurmond is Seattle’s starting nickelback, but he could slide outside to take Browner’s place. Maxwell is a backup outside corner.
Both drew positive reviews in the exhibition season.
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Man shot dead in South Seattle while on phone with mom
- Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Ivar's
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
Most Read Stories
Percy Harvin, Seattle’s injured wide receiver who was expected to be out three months after offseason hip surgery, caused a little stir Wednesday with a tweet that hinted at a possible return in Week 7:
“What’s goin 12th man just checkn in …I’m making serious progress …keep an eye on week 7…don’t hang them 11’s up…..we workn”
Coach Pete Carroll, though, tempered Harvin’s projection but said his recovery has gone well.
“He’s given himself a chance to hit that mark,” Carroll said. “That’s optimistic, but he’s thinking it’s real and we’re going with it and we’ll see what happens.”
• DE Cliff Avril is listed as doubtful for Sunday with a hamstring injury, but Carroll said the Seahawks wouldn’t rule him out until seeing how he feels Sunday.
• DTs Brandon Mebane and Tony McDaniel, both of whom were expected to start inside this season, are expected to play after being limited earlier in the week.
• OL James Carpenter is expected to play. Carpenter missed part of the exhibition season with a foot injury. He will back up starters J.R. Sweezy and Paul McQuistan at guard.
• Carroll said DE Chris Clemons will fully participate in practice starting next week. Clemons spent all offseason recovering from ACL surgery.
Jayson Jenks: 206-464-8277 or email@example.com