Players of the Game Seahawks RB Julius Jones: Jones gained 140 yards on 22 carries, the most rushing yards for any Seahawk since Dec. 24, 2006. Seahawks RB...
Players of the Game
Seahawks RB Julius Jones: Jones gained 140 yards on 22 carries, the most rushing yards for any Seahawk since Dec. 24, 2006.
Seahawks RB T.J. Duckett: Duckett gained 79 yards and scored two touchdowns.
Seahawks WR Billy McMullen: McMullen caught a team-high four passes for 76 yards.
- Live updates from May Day in Seattle: Anti-capitalist protesters clash with police
- Good news about coconut oil, melatonin and turmeric
- 9 arrested, 5 officers hurt as May Day anti-capitalist march turns violent
- Visitors trash Washington island, so officials shut it down for good
- From best picks to the puzzlers, reviewing the Seahawks’ draft selections
Most Read Stories
Seahawks LB Leroy Hill: Hill led Seattle with 11 tackles, and his second-quarter stop of Steven Jackson deserves special mention because he beat blocks from St. Louis tight end Randy McMichael and tackle Alex Barron and still made the stop.
Play of the Game
Matt Hasselbeck’s name won’t show up on the box score on Jones’ 29-yard touchdown run with just over a minute left in the first quarter. It should, as the Seahawk quarterback’s two-for-one downfield block cleared the way. Hasselbeck took out defensive backs Oshiomogho Atogwe and Fakhir Brown. The touchdown run completed a drive in which Hasselbeck excelled. He picked up a first down, diving on a third-down scramble and he completed a 22-yard pass to tight end John Carlson.
Want to know how to get your quarterback clobbered against Seattle? Leave a running back to block Julian Peterson. That’s what the Rams did their third play from scrimmage, assigning fullback Dan Kreider to block the guy. Peterson treated him like a traffic cone, ran right around and sacked quarterback Marc Bulger, knocking the ball loose and falling on it. Seattle drove 24 yards for a touchdown to take a 10-0 lead.
Sunday’s Seahawks Surprises
• Seattle had eight sacks that resulted in no turnovers in Week 2 against San Francisco. The Seahawks forced a turnover on their only sack Sunday when Peterson sacked Bulger, knocked the ball loose and recovered it.
• Seahawks rushed for 245 yards, their most in any game since Oct. 16, 2005.
By the Numbers
46 Rushing plays Seattle called, the Seahawks’ most rushes in any game since Nov. 27, 2006, a Monday night victory over Green Bay in which Seattle rushed the ball 48 times and Shaun Alexander gained 201 yards.
38 Points St. Louis has allowed in the first quarter this year.
29 Points St. Louis has scored all season.
Seahawks: DE Patrick Kerney was poked in the eye in the first quarter. He returned later in the half. RG Floyd Womack suffered a hamstring injury but said afterward he’s OK.
Rams: Tony Pittman suffered a sprained lower leg in the first half and didn’t return. RG Richie Incognito left the game in the third quarter with a sprained knee.