Players of the Game
J.T. O’Sullivan: Became the first 49ers quarterback in four years to pass for 300 yards in a game, completing 20 of 32 passes for 321 yards.
Issac Bruce: Caught four passes for 153 yards. His 63-yard reception in the second quarter set up San Francisco’s first touchdown. His 33-yard catch in overtime was the biggest play in the drive to a game-winning field goal.
Julius Jones: Gained 127 yards on 26 carries, the Seahawks’ first 100-yard rusher in a game since Week 3 last season.
- Designed in Seattle, this $1 cup could save millions of babies
- Trump, Clinton win Washington state primary
- Reed brother led detectives to bodies believed to be Arlington couple
- Boeing plans hundreds of layoffs in local IT unit
Most Read Stories
Play of the Game
Patrick Willis’ 86-yard interception return for a touchdown was the longest play in the game. Matt Hasselbeck attempted a pass to Billy McMullen. Walt Harris was cheating inside and came off his man and collided with McMullen, knocking the ball up in the air. Hasselbeck had a chance to stop Willis at about midfield, but the linebacker cut away from the sideline before Hasselbeck stopped him. “What I’m really mad about is not making the tackle,” Hasselbeck said.
On the first overtime possession, the 49ers faced third-and-7 on their own 23. O’Sullivan found Bruce isolated against Josh Wilson and completed a 33-yard pass that gave the 49ers a first down in Seattle territory. The 49ers gained 16 yards on the next six plays and kicked the game-winning field goal.
Sunday’s Seahawks Surprises
• Seattle, which had only one sack in Week 1 at Buffalo, had eight against the 49ers, including two apiece for starting defensive ends Patrick Kerney and Lawrence Jackson.
• Seattle lost a home game to a division opponent for only the second time in its last 11 games at Qwest Field.
• The 49ers scored 33 points. They scored only 27 points in their previous four games at Qwest Field combined.
By the Numbers
14 Points San Francisco scored off Seattle’s two interceptions.
8 Overtime losses, including the playoffs, for the Seahawks under coach Mike Holmgren. He is 4-8 in overtime games for Seattle.
6 Years since Seattle last began a season with consecutive losses. The Seahawks started 0-3 in 2002.
5 Touchdowns receiver Bryant Johnson has scored in his past six games against Seattle. He was previously with Arizona.
Seahawks: WR Logan Payne suffered an injury to his right knee, which coach Mike Holmgren said is a torn ligament. QB/WR Seneca Wallace suffered a strained calf during the pregame warmup. CB Kelly Jennings suffered a rib injury but returned to the game.
49ers: RT Jonas Jennings suffered a shoulder injury and left the game. LB Patrick Willis suffered a leg injury but returned.