Russell Okung left Pittsburgh with a contract offer Sunday but has yet to make a decision as he continues to explore options in free agency, which include returning to the Seahawks.
Seahawks’ left tackle Russell Okung left his visit with the Pittsburgh Steelers with an offer Sunday, but no decision yet on his future.
Okung revealed the latter news himself via Twitter. (He also posted a picture of himself with Pittsburgh free agent LT Kelvin Beachum, which obviously is intriguing given that some think the two teams could end up essentially trading left tackles with Okung signs with the Steelers and if the Seahawks were to get Beachum).
Despite a report that Okung may visit Houston, a league source said that at the moment Okung has no other visits planned. As of now, Okung is said to be assessing the information he has gotten from his visits of the last three days — the Giants on Friday, the Lions on Saturday and the Steelers on Sunday — and considering his options.
The Seahawks remain an option for Okung, and the 49ers have also been reported to have interest.
Most Read Stories
- This season, Seahawks have crossed the line from brash to just plain unlikable | Matt Calkins
- How Seattle Mayor Murray’s plan to help homeless living in RVs unraveled VIEW
- UW star quarterback Jake Browning has surgery on throwing shoulder
- 'It's time for Seattle to shut up': What the national media are saying about the Seahawks' future
- Can’t make it to D.C.? Seattle will have own women’s march
Okung is part of what increasingly looks like a game of dominoes among a trio of free agent left tackles in the NFL and a handful of teams that are courting them.
While there have been reports that Beachum will visit Seattle, his next visit is reported to be to Jacksonville on Monday. Penn hasn’t been reported having visits anywhere, but said last week on the NFL Network that while he hopes to return to Oakland, the Seahawks could be an option for him depending on what happens to Okung.
The Seahawks have either had visits or reported interest in a few other offensive linemen, notably Arizona’s Ted Larsen, who visited Friday, and Oakland’s J’Marcus Webb. Both those players appear more suited as interior linemen and likely players added to help replace the departed J.R. Sweezy and not really candidates at left tackle.
The Seahawks could also wait to see if other linemen become available late (there has been speculation that Denver left tackle Ryan Clady could be released) and could also wait for the draft. Also, it’s thought the Seahawks are comfortable enough that they could fill in the guard spots (with Mark Glowisnki moving into the starting lineup) and move Justin Britt back to right tackle and Garry Gilliam to left tackle (there has long been a thought that the team views Gilliam as a legitimate long-term prospect at left tackle).
The Seahawks have yet to sign an offensive linemen during the free agent period while losing Sweezy and backup swingman Alvin Bailey, and with the possibility of losing Okung.
That’s led to some hand-wringing from fans who wonder what Seattle’s plan is on the offensive line, especially in light of the struggles of last season, particularly early in the season.
But it’s worth recalling that while coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider said the offensive line would be a priority in the off-season, they also said any moves on the line would have to fit within the big picture of the team’s overall philosophy of roster construction.
“We are going to attack it the way we always have,” Schneider said in a radio interview in January. “Not going to go crazy in one area and panic just because we think we are struggling there. We are going to be smart, going to be aggressive.’’
The Seahawks with just nine offensive linemen on their current roster — centers Patrick Lewis (who was tendered an offer as a restricted free aent but has yet to sign it), Will Pericak, Kristjan Sokoli and Drew Nowak, guards Britt and Glowinski and tackles Gilliam, Terry Poole and Kona Schwenke.