MIAMI — The NFL’s report in the Miami Dolphins bullying case is expected to be released soon, shedding further light on the much-scrutinized, troubled relationship between offensive linemen Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito.
The report likely will address whether the Dolphins organization was at fault for the locker-room culture that led Martin to leave the team last October. He later said he was harassed daily by teammates, including Incognito, and alleged their racial, aggressive and sexually charged comments played a role in his departure.
Incognito’s suspension by the team was lifted Tuesday. Dolphins officials say that was an administrative move agreed to by all parties last year, and had nothing to do with any new developments in the league investigation of the case.
Last week, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said he has an idea of what will be in the league’s report, and indicated he doesn’t expect any new revelations. He said he’s proud of the way the people running the franchise responded to the scandal.
- Seattle fifth-graders will get their camp trip, but teachers refuse to go
- Five things to watch as Seahawks begin OTAs Monday
- What the national media are saying about Robinson Cano and the Mariners' hot start to the season
- Man arrested in attack on Metro bus driver
- Chicken recipes: some new, some old, all delicious
Most Read Stories
Martin has said he tried to be friends with Incognito. The two players traded more a thousand text messages in a year’s span, and the teasing and vulgar banter went both ways, with references to sex, drugs, violence and bawdy behavior, often in a jocular tone.
The back-and-forth continued last week. In his first interview since the scandal broke, Martin told NBC persistent vulgar language around the team made him feel trapped. Incognito’s attorney Mark Schamel responded with a statement saying Martin was “hiding behind false allegations” rather than dealing with “his poor on-field performance and myriad other issues.”
In a tweet Tuesday, Incognito said he supported Martin “100 percent in his return to football in 2014.”
Elway reflects on loss, ‘great year’
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Three times during his Hall of Fame playing career, John Elway slogged through the rubble of a Super Bowl landslide.
Forty-eight hours after Denver’s devastating 43-8 defeat by Seattle in this year’s Super Bowl, the Broncos’ boss was asked how long it took him to get over those big blowouts.
“I’m not over them yet,” Elway said. “I just add this one to it.”
Elway understands Broncos fans are struggling to come to grips with just how the highest-scoring team in league history self-destructed and five-time MVP Peyton Manning managed but a single touchdown throw against the Seahawks.
“It was a great year,” Elway said. “We came up short, but it wasn’t due to lack of effort or lack of want-to. We didn’t play very well two days ago. I know that’s what everybody is disappointed about. We’re disappointed about it, players are disappointed. But, it was a hell of a year. We went through a lot of different things, but I’m proud of the team.”
Elway added the goal has not changed. “The bottom line is we’re going to work as hard as we worked this year, if not harder, and continue to do that with the mindset that we want to be world champions and we’re going to do everything we can to get there.”
• Larry Fitzgerald says he has restructured his contract with Arizona, reducing a big salary-cap hit from his old deal and creating room for signing other players.
Fitzgerald announced the move via his Twitter account. The receiver says the move was made to help the Cardinals “get better for 2014.”
Under his old deal, Fitzgerald would have earned $12.75 million next season and counted a whopping $18 million on the cap.
• Washington has filled the final spots on his coaching staff. The Redskins announced that Bradford Banta has been hired as the assistant special teams coach, Shane Day as assistant offensive line and offensive quality control coach, and Jake Peetz as offensive quality control coach.