When the deal for Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews gets done this offseason, it will come in at or north of $13 million a year...
When the deal for Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews gets done this offseason, it will come in at or north of $13 million a year in new money, sources told ESPN.com.
Since entering the NFL in 2009, Matthews is the only linebacker with 40 sacks, 20 stuffs and 20 passes defensed. He was the top-ranked 3-4 outside linebacker in the league last season in ProFootballFocus.com‘s ratings.
Matthews, 26, has 42 ½ sacks in his four seasons with the Packers, including 13 last season. He has 204 tackles, seven forced fumbles and four interceptions in 58 career games since being drafted 26th overall in the 2009 draft out of USC.
The Packers are also working on an extension for quarterback Aaron Rodgers that would make him the highest-paid player in NFL history. Leaguewide speculation is the deal could average $25 million per year.
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Jesse Jones is back: Seattle's superhero consumer reporter is now at KIRO 7
- Nathan Hale High School juniors boycott state test
- This USB cable finally could be connector for long haul
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
Most Read Stories
Agents for the players are going to want their clients’ deals in place before April 15, when the Packers start offseason workouts, ESPN.com reported.
TEMPE, Ariz. — The NFL suspended Arizona Cardinals inside linebacker Daryl Washington for the first four games of next season for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.
Washington made the Pro Bowl as an alternate last season.
• Linebacker Brian Banks signed with the Atlanta Falcons after the former USC recruit’s career was derailed when he was convicted of rape and kidnapping a decade ago. He took part in the Seahawks’ minicamp last June.
• The agent for unrestricted free-agent receiver Domenik Hixon said his client has agreed to a one-year contract with Carolina.
• The Pittsburgh Steelers signed linebacker Stevenson Sylvester to a one-year contract.
• Oakland signed free-agent cornerback Tracy Porter.