Andy Reid is sticking with Michael Vick, but for how much longer? The announcement Wednesday that Vick is the team's starting quarterback...
PHILADELPHIA — Andy Reid is sticking with Michael Vick, but for how much longer?
The announcement Wednesday that Vick is the team’s starting quarterback suggested just how close the coach was to giving rookie Nick Foles the nod.
Under normal circumstances, Reid wouldn’t acknowledge a controversy with a confirmation, but he said after Sunday’s 30-17 loss to the Falcons that he would further evaluate the position.
He needed three days to come to a conclusion. Reid did not meet with the media, but an Eagles source confirmed that Vick came perilously close to losing his job.
Most Read Stories
“It’s great to know that I have the support of my coach,” Vick said in a text message.
It is obvious that Reid and Vick are under great pressure with the Eagles standing 3-4 and a chance at the playoffs slipping away. With owner Jeffrey Lurie’s ultimatum that Reid must “substantially improve” upon last season’s 8-8 finish, the coach needs a spark.
• Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, who smacked his throwing hand on a defender’s helmet Sunday, said after practice his thumb was “sore, but it’s more of an irritant than anything else.”
• A Jacksonville television station reported the Jaguars and the New York Jets were talking about a trade involving quarterback Tim Tebow. But Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey said there’s no truth to the report.
• Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker was limited but did practice in team drills. Coach Mike Munchak said the next step will be when Locker can handle contact with the left, non-throwing shoulder he dislocated twice in the first month.
• Washington Redskins receiver Pierre Garcon (foot) and safety Brandon Meriweather (knee) are unlikely to play this week, postponing their return until after the bye.
• Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill wore a brace and thigh-to-ankle sleeve on his left leg in practice. He participated in passing drills, but backup Matt Moore took the snaps with the starters during team drills.