BALTIMORE – Running back Ray Rice of the Baltimore Ravens has been charged with aggravated assault for allegedly knocking his fiancée unconscious in an Atlantic City casino elevator, a more serious charge than he originally faced in the February incident.
Rice, 27, initially had faced a New Jersey charge of simple assault for allegedly striking his fiancée, Janay Palmer, in the Revel Casino, an incident officials have said was caught on video.
Atlantic County prosecutors reviewed the case for several weeks before presenting it to a grand jury, which issued the indictment.
Third-degree aggravated assault, a felony, carries a potential penalty of three to five years in prison.
- Narcotics dog hospitalized after ingesting meth
- It's no easy task, but contract extension for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson will get done
- 5 Seahawks takeaways from the NFL League Meetings
- Microsoft tells vendors to give contract workers basic benefits
- Seattle's $15 wage law may not affect city's biggest boss: UW
Most Read Stories
Meanwhile, prosecutors dismissed a charge of simple assault that had been filed against Palmer, 26.
Rice’s attorney, Michael Diamondstein, said neither Rice nor Palmer “wishes to go forward with this prosecution.” Palmer’s attorney declined to comment.
“They’re together,” Diamondstein said. “They’re in counseling.
“Ray Rice is not going to put blame on Janay Palmer. The state chose only to prosecute Ray Rice, and we ask that the public reserve judgment until all the facts come out.”
Ex-Bronco Moreno to join Dolphins
MIAMI – Running back Knowshon Moreno has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with the Miami Dolphins, who were 26th in the league in rushing last season.
Moreno, 26, had his best season in 2013, when he rushed for 1,038 yards, caught 60 passes and scored 13 touchdowns for Denver.
• Quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Michael Vick will trade places.
Bounced out of New York after the Jets signed Vick last Friday, the 27-year-old Sanchez agreed to a contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, a source told AP.
Sanchez spent last season on injured reserve after tearing the labrum in his right shoulder in an exhibition game.
• Linebacker Shaun Phillips, 32, who had 10 sacks for Denver last season, has agreed to a multiyear contract with Tennessee.
• Nose tackle Vince Wilfork, 32, said he is closer to achieving his goal of playing his entire career with the New England Patriots. He tweeted amid reports he had agreed to restructure his contract.
• Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay, 54, had $29,000 in cash and bottles of prescription drugs in his vehicle when he was arrested March 16 in Carmel, Ind., on suspicion of intoxicated driving and other charges, according to the arrest report. Irsay reportedly told the arresting officer he had taken several prescription medications that day but had not been drinking.