SAN JOSE, Calif. – Defensive end Ray McDonald of the San Francisco 49ers was arrested on suspicion of felony domestic abuse Sunday in San Jose, Calif.
Police arrived at 2:48 a.m. at McDonald’s home, where a party was being held in honor of his birthday. He turns 30 on Tuesday.
McDonald allegedly was involved in an altercation with his fiancée; she is about 10 weeks pregnant, a police source said. When the woman showed police bruising on her neck and arms, McDonald reportedly was arrested without incident.
McDonald was booked in Santa Clara County jail and released on $25,000 bail.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- Black Friday protesters decry materialism, racism, violence
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
Most Read Stories
Meanwhile, guard Alex Boone, 27, will end his holdout. His reworked contract could be worth up to $6 million in the next two years.
• Defensive end Michael Sam, a seventh-round draft choice from Missouri who was released by the St. Louis Rams on Saturday, cleared waivers Sunday and is a free agent.
Sam is the first openly gay player drafted by an NFL team.
• Kansas City quarterback Alex Smith, 30, signed a $68 million contract extension to stay with the Chiefs through the 2018 season.
• New England traded quarterback Ryan Mallett, 26, to the Houston Texans. According to ESPN, the Patriots will get a conditional 2016 seventh-round draft choice. Second-round pick Jimmy Garoppolo from Eastern Illinois will be the backup to New England quarterback Tom Brady.
• Players cut Saturday who were signed to the same team’s practice squad Sunday included ex-Washington State QB Jeff Tuel (Buffalo) and former Washington cornerback Greg Ducre (San Diego).