A crowd of 41,304 watched Peyton Manning throw a touchdown pass at a Denver Broncos scrimmage in Englewood, Colo. Rookie QB Robert Griffin III was the lure for 24,650 to watch the Washington Redskins scrimmage in Ashburn, Va.
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — On his 14th and final snap of the Denver Broncos’ summer scrimmage Saturday, Peyton Manning found Eric Decker for a 9-yard touchdown toss that drew the largest ovation from the biggest crowd to watch the team practice.
Ex-Indianapolis Colts quarterback Manning’s first appearance in blue and orange at Sports Authority Field drew 41,304 fans, almost double the previous record of 20,782 set two years ago — when QB Tim Tebow was the main attraction.
Meanwhile, the ovation as Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III walked from the Washington Redskins’ practice facility in Ashburn, Va., to the field was louder than usual.
The quarterback, who was the second player drafted this year, smiled and waved to the announced crowd of 24,650 gathered at Redskins Park for Fan Appreciation Day.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik
- Now comes the hard part for the Mariners: Hiring Jack Zduriencik’s replacement
- Wet weekend ahead, with high winds and heavy rain expected
- Mariners demote struggling catcher Mike Zunino
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
Most Read Stories
Cardinals sign Thompson
The Arizona Cardinals signed defensive lineman Everrette Thompson, who started every game for the Washington Huskies last season.
Thompson, a graduate of Kennedy Catholic High School in Burien, competed at the Cardinals’ rookie minicamp in May.
• New England guard Robert Gallery, who spent last season with the Seahawks, retired.
The 32-year-old signed with the Patriots as a free agent in March.
• Denver signed safety Jim Leonhard, 29, previously with the New York Jets.
• Santonio Holmes was injured in the Jets’ scrimmage, but X-rays on his ribs were negative and the receiver is listed as day to day.
• Tennessee Titans center Eugene Amano will miss the season because of a torn triceps muscle in his right arm.