The Arizona Cardinals have received inquiries from "quite a few teams" about disgruntled wide receiver Anquan Boldin, and more conversations...
TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona Cardinals have received inquiries from “quite a few teams” about disgruntled wide receiver Anquan Boldin, and more conversations are anticipated as this weekend’s draft approaches.
But general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt repeatedly emphasized at a news conference Tuesday they would be happy to keep Boldin and eventually try to sign him to a new contract.
“Quite a few teams have called, but we have no offers from those teams,” Graves said.
Speaking to reporters at his charity event in Florida last week, the 28-year-old Boldin appeared open to staying with the Cardinals, a departure from earlier requests to be traded.
- Mount St. Helens, still steaming, holds the world’s newest glacier
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Seattle sets heat record for July 4
- For escapee, prison now will mean 23 hours a day in a cell
- Sound Transit planning heats up for light-rail expansion and public vote
Most Read Stories
“I didn’t say a trade was necessary,” Boldin said. “I just want something to get resolved. It’s something that’s gone on long enough.”
Boldin expressed displeasure in last season’s training camp, accusing Cardinals management of failing to follow through on a promise of a new contract and vowing never to re-sign with Arizona. He went on to have his third Pro Bowl year in six pro seasons as the Cardinals advanced to the Super Bowl, where they lost to Pittsburgh.
“We never said we were trying to trade Anquan,” Whisenhunt said. “See, that’s been the perception that’s out there. All we’ve said was that we were willing to listen to offers.”
• General manager Martin Mayhew of the Detroit Lions said chances are good the team will have a deal completed with the No. 1 pick before the draft begins. Mayhew declined to talk about specific players, but most observers expect the Lions to take Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford, Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry or Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith with the first pick.
• Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree‘s surgically repaired left foot was mostly confined to a protective boot for five weeks, but he had sneakers on both feet as he strolled in a Manhattan office building, no limp in sight.
“The recovery is going real good,” said the All-American, a likely top-10 selection. “My foot is doing well. I feel like I’m taking it one step at a time.”
• William “The Refrigerator” Perry, a former Chicago Bears defensive lineman, is in serious condition at a South Carolina hospital, a spokeswoman said.
Perry, 46, was hospitalized to deal with complications from Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a chronic inflammation disorder of the peripheral nerves. Perry’s nephew, Purnell Perry, said his uncle was admitted to the hospital more than a week ago but is expected to recover.
• League commissioner Roger Goodell, speaking during a panel discussion in Lexington, Va., said Michael Vick has paid a significant price for doing an “egregious thing” and added Vick will have to show genuine remorse and that the experience has changed him to get a chance at resuming his career.
Afterward, Goodell said he has not kept up with Vick’s legal issues since suspending the Atlanta quarterback from the league after his conviction in a federal dogfighting case. Vick is serving a 23-month prison term and has a team of lawyers trying to settle his finances in bankruptcy court.
• Damian Johnson, 46, an offensive lineman for the New York Giants from 1986 to 1989, was convicted in Elizabeth, N.J., of theft in the sale of a Mercedes-Benz. Prosecutors say he sold the car in 2000 for $27,000 but never delivered the title to his friend.
• A Los Angeles judge has thrown out part of a lawsuit claiming Jacksonville wide receiver Dennis Northcutt arranged the beating of Sharri Henry, his pregnant ex-girlfriend, in May. Henry later gave birth to a boy.