ALAMEDA, Calif. – Free-agent running back Maurice Jones-Drew is coming back home to Oakland after signing a three-year contract with the Raiders on Friday.
Jones-Drew returns to his native Bay Area after playing at UCLA and spending his first eight pro seasons with Jacksonville.
Jones-Drew joins quarterback Matt Schaub, defensive lineman Justin Tuck, linebacker LaMarr Woodley and receiver James Jones as successful veterans brought in by general manager Reggie McKenzie this offseason who are looking for a late career spark in Oakland.
“There’s a ton of talent here,” Jones-Drew said. “Reggie McKenzie and his staff have done a great job of piling on guys that are coming from programs that are winning and know what it takes. Granted, most of us have chips on our shoulders, at least I feel like I got (done) wrong. … It’s something that’s going to drive us and push us to that next level.”
- Update: Seahawks' Jimmy Graham suffers right knee injury vs. Steelers, will miss rest of season
- Suspected burglar dies after getting stuck in chimney
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- The Seattle Seahawks’ swagger, playoffs hopes are back after they slam door on the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Grading the game: Seattle Seahawks’ offense earns perfect mark against Pittsburgh Steelers
Most Read Stories
The Raiders also signed two defensive linemen, bringing back Pat Sims to a one-year deal and signing former Green Bay Packer C.J. Wilson.
Jones-Drew, 29, had 8,071 yards rushing for Jacksonville but was hampered by injuries the past two seasons.
Steelers get Blount
PITTSBURGH – The Pittsburgh Steelers and free-agent running back LeGarette Blount have agreed on a two-year contract that will give them depth in the backfield behind budding star Le’Veon Bell.
Blount, 27, ran for 772 yards and a career-high seven touchdowns in 2013 for the New England Patriots.
• Denver re-signed backup offensive tackle Winston Justice, 29, to a one-year deal.
• Washington signed free-agent offensive lineman Mike McGlynn, 29, who can play center and both guard positions. He was with Indianapolis the past two seasons.
• San Francisco re-signed cornerback Perrish Cox, 27, to a one-year contract. Cox played two games for the Seahawks in December.
• San Francisco cornerback Chris Culliver, 25, has been arrested on suspicion of felony hit and run and reckless driving after he drove a car into a bicyclist and fled, police said.
Culliver was driving a Ford Mustang when he hit the cyclist near downtown San Jose, city police spokesman Albert Morales said. The bicyclist wasn’t seriously hurt, Morales said.