DETROIT – Johnny Manziel showed off some of his fancy footwork, and the Cleveland rookie also looked sharp while passing in his exhibition debut, although the Browns lost to the Detroit Lions 13-12 on Saturday.
Manziel, a former Heisman Trophy winner from Texas A&M, entered the game as a backup in the second quarter.
Although he couldn’t take the Browns to the end zone, he did go 7 of 11 for 63 yards passing. Manziel ran for 27 yards on six carries, including a 16-yard scramble in the third quarter.
“It was a good start,” he said. “You have to start somewhere and set a foundation.”
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Seahawks sign four-year extension with linebacker Bobby Wagner worth a reported $43 million
- After signing $43 million contract, Bobby Wagner admits he didn’t expect Seattle to draft him
Most Read Stories
Cleveland starter Brian Hoyer completed 6 of 14 passes for 92 yards.
Detroit backup Kellen Moore, who is from Prosser, threw a 21-yard touchdown pass to Corey Fuller with 1:05 left in the game, and Giorgio Tavecchio made the extra point.
Moore, who played college ball at Boise State, was 11 of 13 for 121 yards.
At Giants 20, Steelers 16
Rashad Jennings had a 73-yard TD run in the first quarter and Curtis Painter’s scoring pass with 2:50 left gave New York a victory over Pittsburgh.
At Titans 20, Packers 16
Jackie Battle scored on a 7-yard touchdown run with 5:02 left, and Tennessee beat Green Bay in Ken Whisenhunt’s debut as coach of the Titans.
At Cardinals 32, Texans 0
Starter Carson Palmer was 5 for 5 for 84 yards and a touchdown in his only series and Arizona spoiled Bill O’Brien’s first game as Houston’s coach.
Cardinals rookie Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech was 11 of 12 for 113 yards and a touchdown in the second half.
• Minneapolis police are investigating a shooting inside a downtown nightclub that injured nine people, including Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Linval Joseph.
Joseph, 25, was shot in the calf, according to a team statement, which also described him as an innocent bystander and the injury as minor.