Less than 24 hours after being released by the Tennessee Titans, 37-year-old quarterback Matt Hasselbeck signed with the Indianapolis Colts. He was the Seahawks' QB from 2001 through the 2010 season.
INDIANAPOLIS — Less than 24 hours after being released by the Tennessee Titans, 37-year-old quarterback Matt Hasselbeck signed with AFC South rival Indianapolis on Tuesday.
Hasselbeck, a Seahawks quarterback from 2001 through the 2010 season, reportedly has a two-year, $8 million deal with the Colts.
Indianapolis wanted a veteran backup to help mentor its young QBs — Andrew Luck and Chandler Harnish, the first and last picks in the 2012 draft.
“Obviously they’re very, very well established at the quarterback position. But the more and more I talked about it with my wife, my family and my agent, obviously the reputation that the Colts organization has and the kind of player that Andrew Luck is, more and more it made sense,” Hasselbeck said.
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- Chargers players upset with Frank Clark
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- White House renames Mount McKinley as Denali on eve of trip
Most Read Stories
“I would also say that the Colts’ interest from that moment that I got the phone call to this morning when I signed the contract, their interest just felt the most consistent and it just felt right.”
Hasselbeck has 34,517 yards passing and 201 touchdown passes as a pro.
“His body of work, intangibles and extensive league experience speak for themselves,” general manager Ryan Grigson said.
Ex-Stanford standout Luck set NFL rookie records for yards passing (4,374) and attempts (627) last season, but he was sacked 41 times and hit dozens of others. The Colts were 11-5 in the regular season, compared with Tennessee’s record of 6-10.
“I do not know Andrew Luck yet, but I have a ton of respect for him just from watching film and just watching from afar, watching how he handled his college career and so far his pro career. I’m just excited,” Hasselbeck said.
Britt is found
not guilty in trial
FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. — A federal magistrate has found Tennessee wide receiver Kenny Britt is not guilty of driving under the influence after trying to pass through a security gate at Fort Campbell Army post on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line.
After a five-hour trial on the post, U.S. magistrate Lanny King also found Britt was not guilty of violating the implied-consent law for refusing to take a Breathalyzer test.
Britt, 24, was present but was not called to testify.
This was the eighth incident involving police and Britt since he was drafted out of Rutgers.
2 rule changes
PHOENIX — League owners approved two rule changes designed to enhance player safety. They might not vote on a proposal to ban offensive players from using the crown of their helmets against defenders.
The owners outlawed peel-back blocks anywhere on the field; previously, they were illegal only inside the tackle box. A player makes a peel-back block when he is moving toward his goal line, approaches an opponent from behind or the side, and makes contact below the waist.
The penalty will be 15 yards.
Also banned is overloading a formation while attempting to block a field goal or extra point. Defensive teams can now have six or less players on each side of the snapper at the line of scrimmage. Players not on the line can’t push teammates on the line into blockers, either.
The alignment violation is a 5-yard penalty. The pushing penalty is 15 yards.
But the potential change that has drawn the most attention is prohibiting ball carriers outside the tackle box from lowering their helmets and making contact with defenders with the crown.
New York Giants owner John Mara, a member of the competition committee that has recommended the change, expressed doubt the proposal would be voted on before the owners meetings conclude Wednesday.
• The Denver Broncos released Elvis Dumervil last week because the defensive end and his agent didn’t get paperwork for a restructured contract faxed to the team until a league deadline had passed. If Denver hadn’t cut Dumervil, 29, it would have had to pay him $12 million this year; he had agreed to take $8 million in 2013 in the contract that wasn’t received by the team in time.
The sides might reunite. “We’ve offered Elvis a contract,” Broncos executive John Elway was quoted as saying on ESPN.com. “We’d like to have Elvis back.”
Elway didn’t get into specifics.
• Members of a Florida family claim in a lawsuit they feared for their lives when Cleveland defensive lineman Desmond Bryant, 27, allegedly showed up drunk and shirtless at their home Feb. 24, repeatedly banged on the front door and ripped off a door handle.
• San Francisco signed ex-Cleveland kicker Phil Dawson, 38, to a one-year contract. The 49ers cut ties with David Akers earlier this month.