Incognito damages his Ferrari
Police checking on reported damage to a car belonging to Richie Incognito, the player at the center of the Miami Dolphins’ bullying scandal, say Incognito told an officer he did the damage himself.
Sgt. Mark Clark of the Scottsdale, Ariz., police department said the Dolphins guard took responsibility when police contacted him Thursday.
- Amazon rolls out free same-day delivery for Prime members
- 'Granny panties' making a comeback as women say no to thongs
- Shopping video undoes woman's case against SPD
- Deputies shoot 17-year-old after car chase in SeaTac
- Old Lusty Lady strip club to get new look as boutique hotel
Most Read Stories
He says police first went to Incognito’s home Wednesday after being contacted by TMZ Sports and being given a photo of a black Ferrari with several dents in its hood.
Clark says further details are unavailable because no report was filed because no crime was reported. He says Scottsdale police are done with the matter.
49ers extend deal with Kilgore
The San Francisco 49ers and offensive lineman Daniel Kilgore have agreed to a three-year contract extension through the 2017 season.
The 49ers announced the deal Thursday.
San Francisco selected Kilgore in the fifth round of the 2011 draft out of Appalachian State. He has played in 33 regular-season games, plus all six playoff games the last two seasons. He has split time at guard and center.
With veteran center Jonathan Goodwin set to become an unrestricted free agent, Kilgore could take over the starting center role next season. Goodwin has started every game for the 49ers the last three seasons under coach Jim Harbaugh.
No money terms were released.
In others signings, Philadelphia agreed to a five-year contract with wide receiver Riley Cooper and a seven-year deal with center Jason Kelce; Chicago has agreed to a one-year contract with center Roberto Garza; and Washington re-signed defensive lineman Chris Baker to a three-year contract.
Warrant issued for Sharper
An arrest warrant has been issued in New Orleans for former NFL star safety Darren Sharper and another man, accusing them of raping two women in New Orleans last year.
Sharper also is under investigation in sexual assault cases in Florida, Nevada and Arizona and has pleaded not guilty to rape charges in Los Angeles.
The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office and New Orleans Sex Crimes detectives Thursday obtained warrants for the 38-year-old Sharper and 26-year-old Erik Nunez. Each faces two counts of aggravated rape.
New Orleans police say the two women were raped at the same location on Sept. 23.
Djokovic to play Federer
While top-seeded Novak Djokovic had a rest day when opponent Mikhail Youzhny became ill and withdrew from their quarterfinal, Roger Federer had to play his way into their semifinal date at the Dubai Championships in the United Arab Emirates.
The fourth-seeded Federer, who has won this title five times, won his 40th match at the Dubai Championships with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Lukas Rosol of the Czech Republic.
Federer holds a slim 16-15 winning record over Djokovic. The Serbian, however, has beaten Federer in their last three matches, and nine of their last 12 meetings.
Stanford receiver moving to the secondary
Kodi Whitfield made one of the most incredible touchdown catches in college football last season in a win over UCLA that kept Stanford on track for a second straight Pac-12 Conference title.
If Whitfield has his way, he’ll be breaking up catches like that next season.
Whitfield is trying to transition from wide receiver to free safety this spring. Stanford is loaded at receiver but short one spot in the secondary, with first-team Pac-12 safety Ed Reynolds headed to the NFL draft.
Lucrative stadium shut down
A $60 million Texas high-school stadium in Allen that got national attention for its grandeur and price tag will be shut down indefinitely 18 months after its opening, school district officials said. Eagle Stadium in the Dallas suburb will be closed until at least June for an examination of “extensive cracking” in the concrete of the stadium’s concourse.
Built in 2012 as part of a $120 million bond issue, Eagle Stadium seats 18,000 people and sports a 38-foot-wide video board.
• Four-time Olympian Bernard Lagat, a former Washington State star, is scheduled to run in the Carlsbad 5000.
The 39-year-old Lagat says his goal is to try to break the American road record of 13 minutes, 24 seconds set by San Diego native Marc Davis in 1996. For the first time, there will be U.S.-only prize money, with $2,500 going to the first American finisher.
• Nevada state regulators banned mixed martial arts fighters from using testosterone replacement therapy. The Nevada Athletic Commission voted unanimously in Las Vegas to quit granting therapeutic use exemptions for fighters undergoing the so-called TRT.
• Light welterweight boxer Nick Casal’s long-awaited return to the ring Thursday night was put on hold after Shakha Moore failed his pre-fight physical because of an eye condition. They were supposed to square off in Niagara Falls, N.Y., in Casal’s first fight since October 2011. Casal (22-4-1) has been off since sustaining several deep gashes to the head, after being nearly clubbed to death by a crowbar-wielding attacker in May 2012.
• Nicolas Anelka was banned for five games by the English Football Association and suspended by West Bromwich Albion for a racially aggravated goal celebration during a Premier League match in December.
• Joe Pavelski had a hat trick to move into a tie for second in the NHL in goals, and the San Jose Sharks beat the host Philadelphia Flyers 7-3.
Seattle Times news services