The Seahawks on Saturday waived receiver Stephen Williams to make room for linebacker Bruce Irvin on the 53-man active roster.
Irvin was suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing drugs. He practiced all week with the team on a roster exemption. But Seattle had to make a move Saturday to allow him to play against the Colts.
Williams was a standout during the exhibition season but played the least of the team’s five receivers in the regular season. He had been targeted just twice and did not have a catch.
Seattle has just four active receivers on its roster — Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin and Jermaine Kearse.
- Every street can't handle every use, mayor says
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: "He just doesn't trust a lot of people''
- Confidence is key for 24-year-old lawmaker
- After ditching Amex, Costco embraces Citi, Visa
- Warren Moon on Marshawn Lynch: 'He just doesn't trust a lot of people'
Most Read Stories
Marshawn Lynch was fined $5,250 for wearing shoes in the Houston game Sunday that were not the same color as the rest of the team, reported Pro Football Talk. Lynch wore green shoes in the game while the rest of the team wore dark shoes.
Around the NFL
• Free-agent quarterback Dennis Dixon will have a workout with the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, a person familiar with Dixon’s plans confirmed to The Associated Press.
• New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski reportedly did not travel with the team for Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals.
• New York Jets running back Mike Goodson was moved to the active roster from the exempt list after he sat out the first four games for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.
Wide receiver Santonio Holmes and cornerback Dee Milliner, the team’s top draft pick, will both be sidelined with hamstring injuries for New York’s game at Atlanta on Monday night.
• The Jacksonville Jaguars have activated receiver Justin Blackmon from the reserve/suspended list and waived guard Jacques McClendo
n. Blackmon was suspended the first four games for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. Blackmon had 64 receptions for 865 yards last season and averaged 13.5 yards a catch.
• The Tennessee Titans promoted quarterback Rusty Smith from the practice squad to the roster to back up Ryan Fitzpatrick.