The Tennessee Titans released quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, a move buying the franchise more salary-cap space after it couldn't work out an agreement to trim the former Seahawk's $5.5 million salary for 2013.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Tennessee Titans have released quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, a move buying the franchise more salary-cap space after it couldn’t work out an agreement to trim his $5.5 million salary for 2013.
Ex-Seahawk Hasselbeck, 37, spent the past two seasons with Tennessee, leading the Titans to a 9-7 record and missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker in 2011 in coach Mike Munchak’s debut season coming off the NFL lockout.
But the Titans used the No. 8 draft selection in the first round in 2011 on Jake Locker, and they named the former Washington Huskies standout their starter for 2012. Hasselbeck still started five straight games after Locker, 24, hurt his left shoulder.
Hasselbeck has 34,517 yards passing and 201 touchdown passes in his career. Due to count $7.5 million against the salary cap made him too expensive to keep for a team still needing help on the defensive line and at linebacker.
- Live updates from May Day in Seattle: Anti-capitalist protesters clash with police
- Good news about coconut oil, melatonin and turmeric
- Visitors trash Washington island, so officials shut it down for good
- Oregon QB Vernon Adams to attend Seahawks rookie mini-camp on a tryout basis
- Pro Football Focus breaks down the final five Seahawks' draft picks
Most Read Stories
General manager Ruston Webster thanked Hasselbeck for the past two seasons.
“He was an important part of the transition process,” said Webster, a former Seahawks executive. “He was a pro at every turn, and he provided an example to the rest of the team. I know that we are a better team for his being here and we wish him the best.”
Meanwhile, a person familiar with the deal said ex-Buffalo Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, 30, who was cut last week, has agreed to a two-year contract with the Titans.
• The league has agreed to pay $42 million as part of a settlement with a group of retired players who challenged it over using their names and images without their consent. The league will use the money to fund a “common good” trust over the next eight years that will help retired players with an array of issues, including medical expenses, housing and career transition.
• Denver Broncos safety Quinton Carter was confused by the rules of a craps game, and wasn’t trying to cheat before he was arrested at a North Las Vegas, Nev., casino, his attorney said.
Defense attorney Andrew Leavitt called Carter’s arrest March 9 the result of “an absolute misunderstanding.”
“He didn’t know how to play the game,” Leavitt said. “He wasn’t trying to cheat anyone.”
Carter, 24, faces three felony charges of fraudulent act in a gaming establishment. Security officials reported he was videotaped adding a $5 chip to three bets after the dice had already rolled. Carter denied wrongdoing when police arrived. Each charge carries a possible sentence of one to six years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
• League commissioner Roger Goodell calls it “unacceptable” for teams to ask a college player at the scouting combine questions about sexual orientation. Several players said they were asked such questions last month.