Eagles’ Peters gets $51.3M deal
Jason Peters will protect the quarterback’s blind side for quite a while longer in Philadelphia.
The All-Pro left tackle agreed to a five-year contract with the Eagles on Wednesday. Peters was signed for 2014, and his new deal adds four years through 2018. Overall, the contract is worth $51.3 million, with $19.55 million guaranteed.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik
- Now comes the hard part for the Mariners: Hiring Jack Zduriencik’s replacement
- Mariners demote struggling catcher Mike Zunino
- Why Russell Wilson needs to water down his Recovery claims
- Animated map: How the wildfires in North Central Washington have grown over time
Most Read Stories
“They didn’t want to risk losing me and I didn’t want to go anywhere, and I let them know that,” Peters said. “I want to retire here. I love this organization. I love Philly.”
Peters, 32, is a six-time Pro Bowl pick and two-time All-Pro. Peters missed the entire 2012 season after twice rupturing an Achilles tendon, but he returned to anchor an offensive line that helped the Eagles lead the NFL in rushing. All-Pro running back LeSean McCoy ran for a franchise-best 1,607 yards last year and Pro Bowl quarterback Nick Foles had a breakout year behind Peters and Co.
The Cleveland Browns released veteran linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, cutting ties with one of their most popular players due a $4.1 million roster bonus next month.
The 31-year-old Jackson, who made 96 starts in eight seasons with the Browns, is now a free agent and can sign with any team. Jackson’s agents and Cleveland’s revamped front office tried to restructure his contract but couldn’t come to terms and decided to part ways.
Former NFL star Aaron Hernandez has been punished for a fight with another inmate by being relocated to a more isolated part of the Bristol County Jail in Massachusetts, where he must spend 23 hours a day and eat meals in his cell, according to NECN.com.
ESPN: Most coaches against rule
Only 25 of the nation’s 128 FBS head coaches are in favor of a rule proposal that would slow down the college game, according to a survey conducted by ESPN.
Of the 25 in favor, only 11 are coaches at “power five” conference schools (ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC, plus Notre Dame). Of the 128 coaches overall, 73 percent (93) are opposed to the proposal while 19.5 percent (25 coaches) are in favor of it. Seven percent (nine coaches) are undecided. One coach refused to participate.
If passed, the proposal would prohibit teams from snapping the ball until at least 10 seconds run off the 40-second play clock, which would allow defenses time to substitute.
Independence Bowl Foundation officials said Duck Commander, the company run by the stars of the reality television series “Duck Dynasty,” is the new title sponsor of Shreveport’s annual college football bowl game.
Officials said Duck Commander chief operating officer Willie Robertson also has agreed to bring back the game’s original name. The move restores the word “Independence” to the bowl’s name after it was called only by the name of its previous sponsor, AdvoCare V100, last season.
Real Madrid routs Schalke
With an overwhelming offensive display, Real Madrid became the first road team to score six goals in a knockout-stage game of the Champions League and put itself in position for its fourth straight trip to the quarterfinals.
Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema scored two goals each in a 6-1 rout of Schalke in the first leg of their second-round matchup.
In another game, Galatasaray earned a 1-1 tie against visiting Chelsea.
Djokovic, Federer advance
Defending champion Novak Djokovic needed less than an hour to advance at the Dubai Championships in United Arab Emirates, while Roger Federer faced a struggle to seal his place in the quarterfinals.
Top-seeded Djokovic swept to a 6-1, 6-3 win over Roberto Bautista Agut of Spain. Federer won 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3 over Radek Stepanek of the Czech Republic.
Bags banned in Boston
This year’s Boston Marathon will have a “no bags” policy as part of stepped-up security after last year’s deadly bombing.
• Schmidt Peterson Motorsports said it has hired Jacques Villeneuve, 42, to race in this year’s Indianapolis 500, 19 years after the Canadian driver first drank the milk in victory lane.
• A Texas judge rejected Lance Armstrong’s request to stop an arbitration panel from reviewing $12 million in bonuses the cyclist was paid before admitting he used performance-enhancing drugs.
• South Carolina women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley will coach the U.S. women’s under-18 team at the FIBA Americas championships this summer.
• Top-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain defeated Dutchwoman Kiki Bertens 6-3, 7-6 (7-2) to reach the quarterfinals of the Brazil Cup in Florianopolis. On the men’s side in São Paulo, top-seeded Tommy Haas of Germany defeated Italian qualifier Potito Starace 7-6 (7-2), 6-3.
• Top-seeded David Ferrer defeated fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (7-1), 6-2 to advance to his fifth straight Mexican Open quarterfinals in Acapulco, Mexico.
• The Montreal Alouettes released Arland Bruce, two weeks after the receiver was fined by the Canadian Football League for Twitter comments about openly gay NFL prospect Michael Sam.
• Former University of Miami football player JoJo Nicolas has died a day after getting into a car crash on a Miami Beach highway. He was 24.
Seattle Times and news services