DAVIE, Fla. – The Miami Dolphins suspended guard Richie Incognito late Sunday night for conduct detrimental to the team, but his long-term fate on the squad is sealed, a source told The Miami Herald.
“He’s done,” a ranking team source said Monday. “There are procedures in place and everyone wants to be fair. The NFL is involved. But from a club perspective, he’ll never play another game here.”
Incognito, 30, was suspended as both team and league officials look into detailed allegations of bullying and abuse alleged by offensive tackle Jonathan Martin, who has been away from the franchise for a week because of emotional issues.
The NFL Players Association also planned to look into the matter.
- Amid drought, Rattlesnake Lake reveals its roots
- Probe of 777 engine’s explosive failure pinpoints its origin
- Seattle-area teen loved football, says grieving father
- SEC adds millions to developer’s alleged fraud in Seattle
- Lloyd McClendon’s status is at the top of the new Mariners GM’s list
Most Read Stories
Miami promoted Nate Garner to starting left guard — previously Incognito’s slot — on its depth chart.
More details on the alleged abuse suffered by second-year player Martin, 24, continue to surface.
Fox Sports and CBSSports.com both reported Incognito, who is white, sent Martin, who is biracial, a series of racially charged and threatening texts filled with obscenities. One voice mail from Incognito to Martin, ESPN reported, ended with “I’ll kill you.”
There were about 100 media members at the Dolphins’ practice facility Monday. When interviewed, several veteran players had kind words to say about Incognito.
“I love Richie, man,” receiver Mike Wallace said. “I personally think he’s a great guy.”
Incognito, who is in the final year of a $13 million, three-year contract, has long had a reputation of being among the NFL’s dirtiest players. During his first four years, he led the league in penalties for unnecessary roughness, and the St. Louis Rams got fed up with his undisciplined play and released him during the 2009 season.
In terms of dirty tactics, former Seahawks defensive end Lawrence Jackson said, “Incognito is way worse than anybody I ever played against.”
It is unclear whether Dolphins coaches or management had any inkling of harassment between the players before Martin left the team.
Dolphins coach Joe Philbin said, “If the (league) review shows that this is not a safe atmosphere, I will take whatever measures are necessary to ensure that it is.”
A source with direct knowledge of the situation said young Dolphins players are under pressure to pay for veterans’ social outings, a practice that is straining their finances and locker-room chemistry.
Incognito pressured Martin into paying about $15,000 for an unofficial team vacation to Las Vegas — a trip Martin didn’t join.
One young defensive player, whose privacy The Miami Herald is protecting, is on his way to going broke because he has been unable to say no to older players, a source said.
Fox has heart operation
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Denver coach John Fox had his aortic valve replaced in an operation in Charlotte, N.C., that he had hoped to delay until after the Super Bowl.
Fox, 58, is expected to miss several weeks while recovering from the open-chest surgery and undergoing arduous cardiac rehabilitation.
Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, 50, is interim coach of the Broncos (7-1).
Of Fox, Del Rio said, “We all wish him a speedy recovery. The best way that we could honor him is to go out and play great football.”
• Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak, 52, spent a second night in the hospital after collapsing on the field at halftime of the team’s 27-24 home loss to Indianapolis. Houston led 21-3 at the half. Team officials have not disclosed what is wrong with Kubiak, who had tests at the hospital.
• Ex-Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn was released by Buffalo, which signed him three weeks earlier.
• Wide receiver Mario Manningham of the San Francisco 49ers was activated from the physically unable to perform list to the 53-man roster and will be available for Sunday’s home game against Carolina.
The 49ers waived Nnamdi Asomugha, 32, a four-time All-Pro who began the season as the team’s No. 3 cornerback.
|Kelechi Osemele, G||Ravens||Back||Out for season|
|Geno Atkins, DT||Bengals||Knee||Out for season|
|Kyle Rudolph, TE||Vikings||Foot||Might miss up to a month|
|Jeremy Kerley, WR||Jets||Elbow||Might miss a few weeks|
|Terrelle Pryor, QB||Raiders||Knee||Uncertain|
|Darren McFadden, RB||Raiders||Hamstring||Uncertain|
|Lance Kendricks, TE||Rams||Finger||Uncertain|
Compiled from The Miami Herald, South Florida Sun Sentinel and The Associated Press.