Bears’ Allen shows enthusiasm
Defensive end Jared Allen turns 32 on Thursday. He wants nothing to do with the idea of becoming a situational pass rusher as a 30-something Chicago Bear.
Allen intends to play as many snaps as possible at the right-end spot he manned the previous 10 years for the Minnesota Vikings and Kansas City Chiefs, with the hope of turning around a unit that dropped from third to 30th in scoring defense last season.
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
“I have a lot left in this tank,” Allen said Monday during his first visit to Halas Hall in Lake Forest, Ill. “My body feels good. And again, I feel like I can make waves. And not for me, personally. I want to win a Super Bowl.”
Allen decided against possibly joining forces with the Super Bowl champion Seahawks to take a four-year contract for a reported $32 million with the Bears.
“What attracted me here is the opportunity to go out and win it, to earn it and win it and be a part of it and be a piece of that puzzle,” Allen said. “And again, like I’ve always said, things have to line up. It has to be the right place, great for my family. Obviously, you want a fair contract throughout the whole deal. And everything lined up.”
Allen takes a position Julius Peppers had last season before being cut by the Bears for salary-cap purposes.
“We’re going to be a vaunted Bears defense again, and it’s going to start with us up front,” Allen said. “It’s going to start with that front seven.”
Allen had 22 sacks in the 2011 season, 12 in the 2012 season and 11.5 last season.
“Just watch me play this year,” he said. “I’m a full year off surgery on my shoulder. I want to believe in what I’m playing for and who I’m playing for, and that’s why I’m here. I believe in the product they’re putting on the field.”
Washington to add safety Clark
Safety Ryan Clark, 34, has agreed to a one-year contract with Washington.
Clark, who spent the past eight seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, played for Washington in the 2004 and 2005 seasons.
Meanwhile, Washington officials met with former Philadelphia receiver DeSean Jackson. Jackson, 27, was released by the Eagles last week amid reports of team concerns about his off-the-field behavior. When Jackson was released, he issued a statement denying he was associated with gang activity.
In other reported agreements, ex-Tennessee Titans receiver Kenny Britt, 25, has a one-year deal worth $1.4 million with St. Louis and Oakland has a one-year contract with cornerback Carlos Rogers, 32, who was previously with the San Francisco 49ers.
Beasley, Orozco won’t be released
Defenders DaMarcus Beasley and Michael Orozco have been barred from playing for the U.S. national team by their Mexican club, Puebla, when the United States faces Mexico in an exhibition match Wednesday in Glendale, Ariz.
U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann said he won’t replace Beasley and Orozco on the roster. The match does not fall on an international calendar date, allowing Puebla to withhold players.
“We’re very disappointed in the decision by Puebla,” Klinsmann said. “When the match was scheduled, it was with the spirit that both teams would have access to their domestic-based players for what is a very important game for those competing for spots in the World Cup.
“Both MLS and most clubs in Liga MX honored that idea. While we understand their position, it’s a huge opportunity lost for DaMarcus and Michael and doesn’t contribute to the continuation of this respected rivalry.”
Work is halted at Brazil stadium
Labor officials are halting construction at the World Cup stadium where a worker died last weekend. The directive creates a headache for Brazilian organizers trying to get the venue ready for the tournament’s opening match June 12.
Fabio Hamilton da Cruz, 23, died after falling an estimated 26 feet while helping to install temporary seats Saturday at Itaquerao Stadium in Sao Paulo. An initial investigation showed he likely didn’t connect himself to a safety cable.
Vote helps Woods’ tournament
Members of Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md., have voted to keep a PGA Tour tournament hosted by Tiger Woods at the course every other year through 2020.
The Quicken Loans National returns to Congressional on June 26-June 29 this year. It also will be at Congressional in 2016, 2018 and 2020. The vote was seen as crucial in order to keep the event in the Washington, D.C., area.
The 2015 tournament will be at Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Gainesville, Va.
• Buffalo Sabres coach Ted Nolan, who initially was hired on an interim basis, will stay on the job beyond this season — minus the interim tag.
Nolan, 55, signed a three-year contract extension with the NHL team.
• Matt Moulson and Mikko Koivu scored 62 seconds apart in the third period, and Zach Parise connected on a power play for the visiting Minnesota Wild, which rallied for a 3-2 NHL victory that ended the Los Angeles Kings’ winning streak at six games.
• Stanford coach David Shaw is questioning what is behind the union movement by Northwestern football players, saying everything they are asking for is already being provided by most universities.
Shaw said after Stanford’s spring practice he is “curious what’s really driving” the union.
He said his players are given an athletic scholarship worth about $60,000 annually and have never had to pay for a health-care service.
“I’ve seen everything, and everything that’s been asked for, my understanding is it has been provided,” he said.
Seattle Times news services