SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Help is on the way for the Carolina Panthers’ offense.
Coach Ron Rivera said quarterback Cam Newton and running backs Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams will play in the team’s second exhibition game Sunday against Kansas City. All three practiced two days after missing Carolina’s 20-18 loss to Buffalo on Friday.
“I’m excited about getting these guys back on the football field,” Rivera said.
The 27-year-old Stewart, a graduate of Timberline High School in Lacey, practiced for the first time Sunday after missing the first two weeks because of a strained hamstring. He has missed 17 games the past two seasons with foot and ankle injuries.
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- How ISIS methodically groomed a lonely young Wash. state woman
- Lake City residents fight to regain use of now-private beach
Most Read Stories
“I love the fact that I can get up in the morning and walk without that much soreness in my ankles,” Stewart said on July 26.
Jets suffer injuries
CORTLAND, N.Y. – Dee Milliner, expected to be the No. 1 cornerback for the New York Jets, was helped from the practice field after injuring his left ankle.
A source told the New York Daily News that Milliner, 22, has a high ankle sprain and is expected to be out for a few weeks.
About 30 minutes earlier, rookie cornerback Dexter McDougle from Maryland was carted off after tearing a ligament in his left knee. He might be out for the season.
• Baltimore defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore suffered what appeared to be a season-ending injury to his left Achilles tendon during a hard-hitting joint practice with San Francisco.
• Cleveland coach Mike Pettine said he plans to name his starting quarterback — veteran Brian Hoyer or rookie Johnny Manziel — shortly after the team’s Aug. 18 exhibition game against Washington. They are expected to split first-team snaps at training camp this week.