DAVIE, Fla. — Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin will meet late next week in Los Angeles with the NFL’s special investigator to discuss allegations in the team’s harassment scandal, a person familiar with the situation said Friday.
The person confirmed the upcoming meeting to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the league and team haven’t announced the details of the investigation.
Meeting with Martin will be Ted Wells, a senior partner in a New York law firm with experience in sports cases. Wells was appointed Wednesday by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to investigate possible misconduct in the Dolphins’ workplace and prepare a report that will be made public.
Dolphins guard Richie Incognito was suspended in the wake of allegations by Martin, who is with his family in California to undergo counseling for emotional issues. Wells is investigating whether Incognito harassed or bullied Martin, and whether their teammates and the organization mishandled the matter.
- Pursuit of big-money contract comes at a cost for Seahawks QB Russell Wilson
- Ticket prices soar, then drop for World Cup
- As Puget Sound sweats, few air conditioners are cooling us down
- Whitest big county in the U.S.? It’s us
- Kent family mourns loss of father, two sons in Father’s Day weekend crash
Most Read Stories
Incognito also arrived in Los Angeles on Friday on a flight from Miami, WPLG-TV in Miami reported, with the reason for the trip unknown.
Incognito has long been regarded as among the NFL’s dirtiest players, and has had brushes with the law. A police report that surfaced Thursday said a female volunteer at a Dolphins charity golf tournament in May 2012 complained that Incognito harassed her. According to the report filed in the Miami suburb of Aventura, the woman said Incognito touched her inappropriately with his golf club, leaned close to her as if dancing and then emptied a bottle of water in her face.
Incognito was not charged. The Dolphins declined to comment Friday.
The Dolphins (4-4) will play for the first time since the scandal broke Monday night at Tampa Bay (0-8).
• John Fox is out of the hospital, and the rest of the Denver Broncos are feeling better as well.
“Great news today,” interim coach Jack Del Rio said Friday in announcing Fox’s release from the hospital four days after undergoing heart surgery in Charlotte, N.C. “I know that he’s excited to get out, is one step closer to getting back with us.”
Del Rio said Fox was resting at his offseason home in Charlotte, where he’ll continue his recovery and begin cardio rehab soon.
Fox said in a statement released by the team that his recovery is progressing well — “I’m feeling better and stronger each day” — and he’ll continue meeting with his doctors, “who will clear me to return to Denver when the time is right.”
• Oakland Raiders running back Rashad Jennings was speaking to a group of local high-school students earlier this week when the conversation turned to the importance of being prepared when opportunities in life arise.
The veteran backup is certainly qualified to speak on the topic.
Jennings will make his second start of the season Sunday against the New York Giants while Darren McFadden rests his sore hamstring.
• Washington Redskins linebacker London Fletcher and Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey were fined $15,750 apiece by the NFL for horse-collar tackles last weekend.
Casey’s teammate, safety Bernard Pollard, lost $10,000 for what the NFL said Friday was “striking an opponent late” for a hit on St. Louis quarterback Kellen Clemens in the Titans’ 28-21 victory over the Rams. There was no penalty called.