Seahawks rookie offensive tackle Russell Okung suffered a high ankle sprain Sunday. But the injury to his left ankle is not believed to be as serious as a similar injury to his right ankle that caused him to miss Seattle's final two exhibition game and first three regular-season games.
RENTON — Rookie left tackle Russell Okung suffered the same kind of high ankle injury he suffered two months ago.
It’s to a different ankle, though, and this injury is not judged to be as severe as the high ankle sprain he suffered Aug. 21. That injury kept him out the first three regular-season games.
“It’s not nearly like the other one,” coach Pete Carroll said. “We don’t know what that means yet.”
This injury is to Okung’s left ankle and it occurred five minutes into the Seahawks’ victory over Arizona on Sunday when tight end Chris Baker fell into him.
- WWU cancels classes after racial threats on social media
- Seahawks bringing back RB Bryce Brown, adding depth with Marshawn Lynch's situation uncertain
- Like teammate Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks rookie Thomas Rawls craves contact
- Seattle Seahawks Tuesday ramblings: What got Cary Williams benched? And more
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace
Most Read Stories
A high ankle sprain affects the ligament that holds the two bones in the lower leg together.
The Seahawks have not ruled out Okung for this week’s game, but Carroll conceded it would be a “challenge” for him to play.
“We’ll just wait and see,” Carroll said.
That was Carroll’s approach after Okung’s right ankle was injured in August, saying the team would take it day by day, week by week. Okung missed the final two exhibition games in addition to the three regular-season games.
• Wide receiver Brandon Stokley suffered an injury to his oblique that forced him to leave Sunday’s game. His status for this week is uncertain.
• Cornerback Kelly Jennings and defensive tackle Brandon Mebane could return to practice this week after they did not play Sunday. Carroll said the hope is the pair can resume practicing Thursday. Jennings missed Sunday’s game with a strained hamstring, Mebane has sat out the past two games with a strained calf muscle.
• Fullback Michael Robinson‘s status will be a question after he left Sunday’s game because of a hamstring injury. Robinson hopes to be ready to play.
• Seattle waived running back Chris Henry, signed to the 53-man roster in time to play in Sunday’s game. Releasing Henry frees up a roster space the Seahawks could use to sign an offensive lineman given Okung’s injury.
Danny O’Neil: 206-464-2364 or firstname.lastname@example.org