CINCINNATI – The Cincinnati Bengals have made Andy Dalton one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league.
Dalton signed a six-year extension Monday. According to multiple reports, the deal is worth $115 million and will prevent Dalton from playing out the final season of his rookie contract.
Dalton, 26, said he is relieved to have the deal finalized before the season.
“You do have it in the back of your mind, when is it going to get done,” Dalton said. “Now we don’t have to worry about it. Like (coach) Marvin (Lewis) said, just play the game and I don’t have to have this hanging over me.
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Roads could be a mess this weekend — and Monday
- New GM Jerry Dipoto provides more insight into how he’ll turn Mariners around
- Seven things to know about Seahawks rookie Tyler Lockett
- Survivor: Gunman spared 'lucky one' to give police message
Most Read Stories
“To get this opportunity to come to the city of Cincinnati, get drafted here and play for the Bengals and now sign this extension and be here for a long time, I’m just so blessed.”
Dalton, a second-round draft choice from Texas Christian in 2011, is 30-18 as a starter and has averaged 3,787 yards passing in his three seasons. He threw for 4,293 yards and 33 touchdowns last season.
Despite his regular-season success, Dalton has been criticized for throwing six balls that were picked off, as opposed to one touchdown pass, in three playoff losses.
Career ends for Giants’ Wilson
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – The career of David Wilson, running back for the New York Giants, is over after two seasons because of a neck injury.
Wilson, 23, was told by doctors he risked more serious problems if he kept playing.
He underwent fusion surgery to repair vertebrae and a herniated disk in his neck in January. At practice last Tuesday, Wilson ran with his head down into the back of an offensive lineman, causing numbness in Wilson’s hands and lower extremities.
“I don’t want anybody to feel sorry for me, or pity me,” Wilson said in a statement. “I lived my dream.”
Ex-Cougar Wilson suffers injury
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – Chicago’s Marquess Wilson, a second-year player from Washington State, is out indefinitely after suffering a broken collarbone in practice.
Wilson was in a battle for the No. 3 wide-receiver position behind starters Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, and last week coach Marc Trestman said he was “in the lead right now into winning it.”
Wilson sprawled out for a deep pass in a scrimmage and was taken from the field on a cart.
Wilson, with his arm in a sling at lunch after practice, called it a reaction as much as an attempt to make a risky catch.
“Me being a receiver, I saw the ball and in my mind I said, ‘Go get it,’ ” Wilson said. “It was just second nature. I look back at it and I probably shouldn’t have done it. But it just happened.”
• Denver running back Montee Ball is sidelined with appendicitis and isn’t expected back before the AFC champions’ regular-season opener against Indianapolis on Sept. 7.
Ronnie Hillman and C.J. Anderson shared snaps with the first-string offense at practice and are expected to get the bulk of the work in Ball’s absence this month.
• Prosecutors have agreed to drop charges against Denver safety T.J. Ward, 27, in exchange for four hours of community service.
Ward previously pleaded not guilty to charges of misdemeanor assault and disturbing the peace for allegedly throwing a glass mug at a female bartender at PT’s All Nude Club in May.
• Cleveland rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M took snaps with the Browns’ starters for the first time in practice at training camp, moving ahead of Brian Hoyer for at least one day.
Meanwhile, the Browns waived 26-year-old guard Jason Pinkston after reaching an injury settlement with the former starter whose setbacks included blood clots in his lungs.
• Dallas quarterback Tony Romo said his surgically repaired back would get a rest: He will not play in the exhibition opener Thursday at San Diego.