Star golfer Chris Williams signed his score card incorrectly, disqualifying his final round and costing the Huskies one spot in the final standings.
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. — The Husky men’s golf team thought it had shot a 1-over 351 in the final round of play to end up third at the 67th Annual Western Intercollegiate on Sunday.
But coach Matt Thurmond and golfer Chris Williams later discovered that Williams had signed his scorecard incorrectly. This led to a final round disqualification for Williams and a drop in the team standings from third to fourth.
Williams mistakenly signed for a par 4 instead of a bogey 5 on the 7th hole. The Huskies were forced to count Trevor Simsby’s 77, which changed UW’s third round score to 7-over 357.
- More pet-food recalls linked to potential salmonella contamination
- Seattle company copes with backlash on $70,000 minimum wage
- Man drowns in Lake Washington after hopping off boat
- Impressions from day 3 of Seahawks training camp --- Christine Michael, the center position, Tyler Lockett, and more
- After signing $43 million contract, Bobby Wagner admits he didn’t expect Seattle to draft him
Most Read Stories
UW shot a 6-over 294 to finish tied for 11th at the PING/ASU Invitational in Tempe, Ariz. Washington had an 880 (+16) to finish tied with TCU in the 17-team field. Husky sophomore SooBin Kim was the top UW finisher, shooting a final round 1-under 71 to end up with a 2-over 218 and finishing tied for 27th.
No. 14/13 Washington (32-12, 10-5) fell to host No. 2 Arizona State, 2-1.
Washington (9-24, 4-8 Pac-12) was routed on the road by Stanford, 12-2.
• Washington State (23-12, 8-7) fell at home to No. 25 Arizona, 7-3.
Seattle U (1-21, 0-5 Western Athletic Conference) fell on the road to Idaho State, 5-0.
Seattle U (6-16, 0-9 WAC) won at Eastern Washington, defeating the Eagles 4-3.
Seattle Pacific senior Corrine Wise finished fourth in the balance beam and junior teammate Bryn Larson finished 12th on the uneven bars on the last day of the USA Gymnastics Women’s Collegiate Championships in Shreveport, La.
From team reports