Melissa Tancredi scored in the eighth minute and the Chicago Red Stars ended an unbeaten season by the Seattle Reign FC with a 1-0 NWSL victory at Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill., Saturday night.
The Reign fell to 13-1-3 as Tancredi scored her first NWSL goal on an assist from Julie Johnston.
The Reign will host Chicago (7-6-4) in a rematch next Sunday at 4 p.m. at Memorial Stadium.
Johnston had a long pass to Tancredi on the right side of the pitch, and the former Notre Dame star booted it past Reign goalkeeper Hope Solo.
- Costco will buy most farmed salmon from Norway, not Chile
- Mariners prospect hit by boat dies at age 20
- Let's cut traffic by road rationing, Italian style
- Italian court throws out Knox conviction once and for all
- Russell Wilson hits homer with Texas Rangers
Most Read Stories
Seattle allowed the first goal for the eighth time in the past 10 games. The Reign had been able to rally every time, but not Saturday.
The Reign had eight shots compared to six for the Red Stars.