Melissa Tancredi scored in the eighth minute and the Chicago Red Stars ended an unbeaten season by the Seattle Reign FC with a 1-0 NWSL victory at Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill., Saturday night.
The Reign fell to 13-1-3 as Tancredi scored her first NWSL goal on an assist from Julie Johnston.
The Reign will host Chicago (7-6-4) in a rematch next Sunday at 4 p.m. at Memorial Stadium.
Johnston had a long pass to Tancredi on the right side of the pitch, and the former Notre Dame star booted it past Reign goalkeeper Hope Solo.
- To retire at 55 takes big savings
- 2 young boys suffer 'significant' injuries in explosion in Enumclaw
- FBI, police investigating Seattle officer in violent 2010 incident
- B-boys to Balkan, the Northwest Folklife Festival is under way
- Jon Ryan going for title of NFL's most 'Ninja'-like punter
Most Read Stories
Seattle allowed the first goal for the eighth time in the past 10 games. The Reign had been able to rally every time, but not Saturday.
The Reign had eight shots compared to six for the Red Stars.