Melissa Tancredi scored in the eighth minute and the Chicago Red Stars ended an unbeaten season by the Seattle Reign FC with a 1-0 NWSL victory at Benedictine University in Lisle, Ill., Saturday night.
The Reign fell to 13-1-3 as Tancredi scored her first NWSL goal on an assist from Julie Johnston.
The Reign will host Chicago (7-6-4) in a rematch next Sunday at 4 p.m. at Memorial Stadium.
Johnston had a long pass to Tancredi on the right side of the pitch, and the former Notre Dame star booted it past Reign goalkeeper Hope Solo.
- Anonymous donor pays off landslide victim's $360K mortgage
- Could Chris Polk be a fit for the Seahawks?
- Fire destroys Bellevue auto showroom, dozens of cars
- Seattle-to-suburb commuters prefer urban lifestyle
- A Midcentury modern home for the history books
Most Read Stories
Seattle allowed the first goal for the eighth time in the past 10 games. The Reign had been able to rally every time, but not Saturday.
The Reign had eight shots compared to six for the Red Stars.