Thorns FC forward Danielle Foxhoven and midfielder Meleana Shim scored goals in the second half to help guide Portland to a 2-0 win over Seattle Reign FC on Sunday before 13,802 fans at JELD-WEN Field.
Foxhoven netted her second goal in as many games with a curling strike in the 48th minute and Shim recorded her first professional goal and assist for Portland. Thorns FC (8-2-1, 25 points) improved to 3-0-0 this season against Seattle (0-9-1, 1 point).
Portland goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc stopped a Seattle penalty-kick attempt from Christine Nairn in the 84th minute to preserve the shutout.
- Evergreen senior’s death, other player injuries renew football-safety debate
- Our state’s greatest gift to the nation just got canceled
- Clay Matthews tells Colin Kaepernick: ‘You ain’t Russell Wilson, bro’
- Seahawks Game Center: Seattle holds off Detroit Lions for 'Monday Night Football' victory
Most Read Stories
• The Sounders Women routed the Colorado Rush, 4-0, in a USL W-League match in Arvada, Colo. Janine Beckie, Jaelene Hinkle, Shannon Woeller and Sara Campbel
l scored for Seattle.
Seattle Pacific’s Dave Downs was voted the 2012-13 Great Northwest Athletic Conference Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Downs has a 3.82 grade-point average and averaged 14.2 points and 5.5 assists last season. Earlier this winter, he was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-American team for the second year in a row.
From sports-information reports.