Thorns FC forward Danielle Foxhoven and midfielder Meleana Shim scored goals in the second half to help guide Portland to a 2-0 win over Seattle Reign FC on Sunday before 13,802 fans at JELD-WEN Field.
Foxhoven netted her second goal in as many games with a curling strike in the 48th minute and Shim recorded her first professional goal and assist for Portland. Thorns FC (8-2-1, 25 points) improved to 3-0-0 this season against Seattle (0-9-1, 1 point).
Portland goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc stopped a Seattle penalty-kick attempt from Christine Nairn in the 84th minute to preserve the shutout.
- For UW, an Apple Cup victory that doubled as a breakthrough
- Bill Gates to commit billions for clean energy
- The story of one homeless girl, Brittany, who was failed time and again
- Black Friday protesters decry materialism, racism, violence
- Holiday and Independence Bowls are potential destinations for UW and WSU
Most Read Stories
• The Sounders Women routed the Colorado Rush, 4-0, in a USL W-League match in Arvada, Colo. Janine Beckie, Jaelene Hinkle, Shannon Woeller and Sara Campbel
l scored for Seattle.
Seattle Pacific’s Dave Downs was voted the 2012-13 Great Northwest Athletic Conference Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year. Downs has a 3.82 grade-point average and averaged 14.2 points and 5.5 assists last season. Earlier this winter, he was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-American team for the second year in a row.
From sports-information reports.