ROCHESTER, N.Y. — After a 1-0 victory over the Seattle Reign, the Western New York Flash moved one step closer to a postseason berth Wednesday.
Carli Lloyd scored off a touch pass from Abby Wambach in the 52nd minute and Adrianna Franch stopped all nine shots she faced as the Flash (9-4-7) was stuck awaiting the outcome of the Chicago-Washington game that would determine if it qualifies for the playoffs.
Fifth-place Chicago trailed Washington 1-0 but the game was suspended in the 76th minute.
Lloyd was able to beat Seattle goalie, and teammate on the U.S. National Team, Hope Solo one-on-one from 12 yards out.
- With Marshawn Lynch retired, what will Seahawks do with money they save?
- Police: Ohio newborn appears to have died from dog bite
- Sale of Weyerhaeuser’s Federal Way campus means more intensive development
- Panthers' Cam Newton and Seahawks' Russell Wilson handled Super Bowl losses very differently
- Seahawks' Russell Wilson writes a thank-you letter to Peyton Manning
Most Read Stories
The Reign (5-12-3) already has been eliminated from playoff contention.