Reign FC already had Megan Rapinoe on the roster, but the team announced Monday that it will have, well,
more of the U.S. national team star this season.
Rapinoe has terminated her loan deal with France’s Lyon and will be with Seattle for the March 10 start of training camp. The 28-year-old had been set to join the Reign in the summer, like she did last season.
Rapinoe, a University of Portland product, played in 12 of Seattle’s 22 games last year, but still scored a team-leading five goals. She told the Women’s Football Podcast there was not “one specific reason” for leaving Lyon, but that it was more of “an overall happiness and wellness thing.”
“I feel like there’s some really exciting things going on at home that I want to be a part of,” said told the podcast. “The team shaping up in Seattle is awesome and I really do feel like it is home there.”
- 2 people killed in Seattle-area windstorm identified
- Richard Sherman asks for Tyler Lockett-Mario Kart mashup, the internet answers
- Chargers players upset with Frank Clark
- High winds stall firefighting efforts, fuel Tunk Block, Lime Belt fires
- White House renames Mount McKinley as Denali on eve of trip
Most Read Stories
French newspaper L’Equipe, citing an unnamed source, said Rapinoe had a strained relationship with coach Patrice Lair, which might have led to the move.
• The final two rounds of the MLS SuperDraft will start at 11 a.m. Tuesday via leaguewide conference call. The Sounders pick No. 55 overall (third round) and No. 77 (fourth round).
• The Reign loaned defender Lauren Barnes to Australian W-League’s Melbourne Victory.
Joshua Mayers: 206-464-3184 or firstname.lastname@example.org.