The worst miss at this year’s World Cup — woefully wide right — didn’t come off a soccer player’s foot.
An Australian couple who thought they’d booked a flight to Salvador, Brazil, ended up in El Salvador, Central America — about 4,000 miles away.
• At SportsPickle.com: “Americans slowly getting used to using their hands again as World Cup fever wanes.”
- Seahawks agree to contract extension with quarterback Russell Wilson
- Dustin Ackley trade symbolizes continuing dark days of Mariners
- Man shot dead in South Seattle while on phone with mom
- Surviving Seattle’s sidewalks: Pedestrian rage rises as the population grows
- Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Ivar's
Most Read Stories
• At Fark.com: “Appeals court considering putting an asterisk next to Barry Bonds’ felony conviction.”
Lance Stephenson says the Pacers’ contract offer — $44 million over five years — isn’t good enough.
Maybe they should have tried blowing in his ear.
Fans of the soap opera “The Young and the Restless” got quite a shock when:
a) Leslie told Nikki about Ian’s plot to get revenge.
b) Colin came clean with Jill.
c) Justin Bieber and Johnny Manziel were added to the cast.
Taking a fall
Pro rasslin’s Diva Emma was charged with shoplifting an iPad cover at a Walmart store.
Or as WWE publicists tried to spin it, having a foreign object in her purse.
That’s a penalty
Authorities suspect alcohol was involved after Philadelphia Flyers captain Claude Giroux was arrested for repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer in Ottawa.
Puck purists immediately derided it as the worst example of clutch-and-grab hockey.
Target is asking customers not to bring guns into its stores.
Unless, of course, they’re having a Midnight Special.
• Brad Dickson of the Omaha (Neb.) World-Herald, on the lack of offense at this year’s College World Series: “One CWS pitcher recorded 17 strikeouts and gave up a single hit. And that was in batting practice.”
• Comedy writer Tim Hunter, on reports that a vast majority of Baby Boomers are overweight or obese: “In fact, they say that half of all Baby Boomers make up two-thirds of them.”
• DJ Gallo of SportsPickle.com, on his list of best soccer pickup lines: “You’re hotter than the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.”
• Janice Hough of LeftCoastSportsBabe.com, after Belgium took a 2-0 lead over the U.S. in the World Cup: “Looks like Americans will have to go back to wasting time at work by looking at cat videos.”
Wednesday, in case you missed it, was World UFO Day.
In keeping with the theme, 87 people swore they saw Dennis Rodman drive by.
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or email@example.com