Think they’ll be tough to lick?
Andy Murray, Britain’s first Wimbledon men’s singles champ in 77 years, is getting his own series of commemorative postage stamps, starting Aug. 8.
Alas, they only come in sets of three or more.
- Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood
- Man's journey to find birth mom ends — at work
- 14 million spilled bees on I-5: 'Everybody's been stung'
- Shawn Kemp to co-host party celebrating Thunder missing playoffs
- Rolled semi spills load of bees at I-5 and I-405 interchange
Most Read Stories
• At SportsPickle.com: “Ryan Braun returns from 4-day All-Star break packing additional 53 pounds of muscle.”
• At TheOnion.com: “Metta World Peace signs 2-year deal with New York Post.”
Gift for your grillfriend
Available for sale online: an eight-piece Houston Astros barbecue set for $74.99.
Act now, and they’ll even throw in an interactive Astros meat thermometer that tells you “Stick a fork in ’em, they’re done.”
A boy named Sue? The late Mickey Mantle could relate, in a way.
As White Sox broadcaster Ken Harrelson told MLB Network: “He told me, ‘Hawk, the worst thing I ever did in my life was name one of my kids Mickey Jr. But how the hell did I know I was going to grow up to be Mickey Mantle?’ ”
Ex-Giant Tiki Barber said Eli Manning is a better quarterback than Eli’s more celebrated brother, Peyton.
Peyton, to his credit, hasn’t yet called Barber “a drunk idiot running back.”
Banking on Kobe
That $75 you got for the old lawnmower at your garage sale? You can stop bragging about it any time now.
Kobe Bryant’s parents put some of his old stuff up for auction and landed $174,184 and $108,153 for two replica NBA title rings, $55,597 for an All-Star ring, and $50,150 and $41,694 for two of his high-school uniforms.
Q: Who caught Brett Favre’s first completed pass in the NFL?
A: Favre himself, on Sept. 13, 1992 — a batted-back pass that resulted in a 7-yard loss.
• Jack Finarelli of SportsCurmudgeon.com, on the public’s rush to judgment of ex-Pats right end Aaron Hernandez: “I wonder if those folks ever heard of: a) O.J. Simpson, b) Casey Anthony, c) George Zimmerman, d) the Duke lacrosse team.”
• Dom Cosentino of Deadspin.com, after Thomas Bjorn’s errant shot out of the rough shattered the $80,000 lens of an ESPN camera: “Best of luck to the three or four production assistants who will now be sacrificed to cover the cost.”
• Matt Snyder of CBSsports.com, on the Miami Marlins hosting “Legends of Wrestling Night” on Aug. 24: “The Marlins will do just about anything to get fans to the ballpark — that is, other than putting a winning team on the field.”
King of New England
What’s this — the royal baby’s arrival is already days overdue?
Or, as one Patriots fan put it, “I didn’t realize Tom and Giselle were expecting again.”
Dwight Perry: 206-464-8250 or firstname.lastname@example.org