Ty Jackson and Adam Nelubowich each homered in Washington State's 10-4 victory over No. 6 UCLA on Monday. The victory for the Cougars (11-10...
LOS ANGELES — Ty Jackson and Adam Nelubowich each homered in Washington State’s 10-4 victory over No. 6 UCLA on Monday.
The victory for the Cougars (11-10, 2-4 Pac-12) broke a four-game losing streak and avoided a series sweep at the hands of the Bruins (17-5, 4-2).
“Our bats gave us an early lead and took some pressure off our pitching,” Washington State coach Donnie Marbut said. “(Kyle) Swannack gave us a good start and (Scott) Simon was great out of the ‘pen.”
The Cougars scored nine times in the first two innings against UCLA starter Grant Watson (5-1).
- Nurse dies from injuries in attack near CenturyLink Field
- Woman knocked unconscious by falling drone during Seattle's Pride parade
- Residents return to ‘war zone’ in wake of Wenatchee wildfire
- Tukwila group to submit expansion application to NHL
- Legislature OKs new budget with rare tuition cuts and pay raises for teachers
Most Read Stories
In the top of the first, Tommy Richards and Taylor Ard singled with one out. After Derek Jones flied out, Nelubowich drove in Richards with a single. Jackson followed with a three-run blast over the center-field wall to give Washington State a 4-0 lead.
Heidy Wells threw a complete-game five-hitter and went 2 for 3 at the plate, and Jen Schwartz was 3 for 3 with a double and two runs batted in as Central Washington (9-15, 8-11 Great Northwest Athletic Conference) snapped a five-game losing streak with a 6-1 win over host Western Washington (6-20, 4-12).
Jenna DeRosier pitched a three-hit shutout as Western won the doubleheader opener 5-0.
The Washington State men are 10th and Gonzaga is 11th after 36 holes of the Duck Invitational at the Eugene (Ore.) Country Club. WSU is at 21-over 597 and the Bulldogs at 26-over 602.
• The Seattle U women are 11th at 61-over 637 after two rounds of the Anuenue Spring Break Classic in Kapalua, Maui.
• Western Washington is tied for second at 11-under 565 after the first day of the Grand Canyon Thunderbird Spring Invitational in Litchfield Park, Ariz.
• Seattle University will host Washington State in a baseball game at 6:30 p.m. April 23 at Everett Memorial Stadium.
Compiled from sports-information reports and other sources.