Tres Borrachos, a multiple-graded stakes winner from California, highlights a strong field of six entered to run in Sunday’s Mt. Rainier Handicap at Auburn’s Emerald Downs.
16 -mile race is the final major prep for the $200,000 Longacres Mile, the most prestigious horse race in the Northwest, which will be held Aug. 18.
That race is certainly on the agenda for Tres Borrachos, an 8-year-old gelding. He has won just five of 47 career starts, but has earned $1.029 million and had two strong races this spring at Santa Anita in Arcadia, Calif.
Leading the local contingent is Jebrica, winner of last month’s Budweiser Handicap while beating Stryker Phd and Winning Machine, who are also scheduled to run in Sunday’s race.
Most Read Stories
- No more flying with reindeer: Unique Alaska planes to retire VIEW
- ‘No more agriculture in Puerto Rico,’ a farmer laments
- Seattle to spend $177M on new streetcar line amid questions about ‘unrealistic’ revenue, rider projections
- McCain calls brain cancer prognosis 'very poor'
- A daring betrayal helped wipe out Cali cocaine cartel
Another top contender is Herbie D, who has won eight of 11 career races at Hastings in Vancouver, B.C., including a pair of stakes this year.
The Mt. Rainier Handicap is the ninth of 10 races on Sunday’s card.
Scott Hanson: 206-464-2943