Top-seeded men’s open singles player Marcelo Demoliner advanced in a round-of-64 match Tuesday at the 124th Washington State Open at Seattle Tennis Club.
Demoliner of Newport Coast, Calif., defeated Dragos Puscalau of Newcastle 6-1, 6-0
No. 2 seed Kyle McMorrow of Olympia defeated Kent’s Jamie Thorp 6-0, 6-1. No. 3 seed Ben McLachlan of Berkeley, Calif., blanked Mitch Williamson of Mill Creek 6-0, 6-0 and fourth-seeded Garrett Brasseaux of Mandeville, La., defeated Seattle’s Oscar Burney 6-3, 6-0.
In women’s open singles round-of-32 matches, No. 2 seed Julija Lukac of Seattle defeated Jenna Gilbert of Mukilteo 6-0, 6-0. Third-seeded Riko Shimizu of Ojai, Calif., defeated Anastasia Christ of Seattle 6-1, 6-1.
- Seahawks 39, Steelers 30: What the national media are saying about Russell Wilson and Seattle's turnaround
- On his birthday, Russell Wilson gives Seattle Seahawks perhaps his greatest game to beat Pittsburgh Steelers
- Girlfriend finds nothing funny about couple’s sense of humor
- Lake Stevens quarterback Jacob Eason gets visit from WSU’s Mike Leach; commitment to Georgia ‘in holding pattern’
- WWU police arrest 19-year-old student in racist-threats case
Most Read Stories
Competition continues through Sunday with $22,000 in prize money to be awarded.
• Seattle Reign FC forward Nahomi “Naho” Kawasumi has been voted the National Women’s Soccer League player of the week by media. Kawasumi, 28, had two goals and an assist to lead Reign FC to a 5-0 victory on Sunday over Portland Thorns. It is the second time the Japanese international has been voted NWSL player of the week .
• The Eastern Washington football team will play at Texas Tech on Sept. 2, 2017. The Eagles played at Texas Tech in 2008, falling 49-24 to the Red Raiders, who were coached by current Washington State coach Mike Leach. A year ago, the Eagles finished 12-3 and opened by upsetting No. 25 Oregon State 49-46.
• PGA Professional Todd Erwin of Tacoma Firs Golf Center shot a 10-under-par 62 to take the lead after the first round of Senior Oregon Open Invitational at Wildhorse Resort in Pendleton. He leads by three strokes over PGA Professional Mark Keating of Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club (North Plains, Ore.) and amateur Mike Kerns of Riverbend Golf Complex in Kent.
From sports-information reports.